Otocinclus compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
Would one otocinclus be ok in a tank with blue tetras, corydoras and guppies.
And would just one oto be ok, or do I need a group of them?

They prefer to be in groups, and will need plenty of hiding places, out of the 4 i have only 1 hangs out in the front of the tank, the rest are terrified of me.

Great fish. They aren't scared of me at all. I can hold out hunks of peas in front of them and they'll eat of my hands. Next time you get a chance pick up some otos.

Crepe said:
Great fish. They aren't scared of me at all. I can hold out hunks of peas in front of them and they'll eat of my hands. Next time you get a chance pick up some otos.

I've only got room for one...

I've only got room for one...

You can go ahead and get one. I purchased a group of 3 and 2 ended up dying from the fish store. I don't have time to waste returning a couple of $2 fish to the store so I had just one in the tank for a couple months and the Oto was happy swimming around and eating and was very healthy.

The oto has friends now but was perfectly fine when alone. I do not notice any new behaviors or anything now that they are in a group.

I also have a peppered cory catfish all by himself when they say they are best kept in groups of 5+. He swims along the glass and sometimes joins the group of otos and is very happy.

I bought three ottos this morning for my 37 gal planted tank. Been thinking about getting some for a while and finally decided to go for it. Is three a good number? Anyone have any advice for me?

So far so good...they spent a good bit of this morning swimming around with my Black neons. lol :)

I have been reading a little about these fish as I want to add a couple to my 29, depending on where you get the info the suggested number seems to be about four, but many seem to be kept just fine alone or in pairs. I would not hesitate to get just one, but they do seem to need plenty of space, hiding spots, an prefer natural planted tanks.

I tend to agree with Jasurf on this. For some fish the group thing is very very important, for others not as much. I am sure this is a topic with differing opinions however.

Back
Top Bottom