Otocinclus or BN pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They will always be trying to pair or defending their territory attacking the other ones. I had 2 pair for about a year in my 72G one on each end of the tank they would still bully each other and kept the tank petrified about swimming. Their bullish behavior kept the Cardinals at the very bottom 1/4 of the tank in the safety of the Crypts garden where they tried to blend in.

It was the antithesis of harmony. For the last year I have tried differing combinations and all end the same, fighting and injury and death... Not my favorite way to have an aquarium. I am in the middle of looking for males only. Unfortunately one of my favortites is a female :(.

Best chances are from little fish to start. Otherwise I might try a Angel Breeder to get some older to adult male fish.

I guess 75% technically. With a group of 4 the chances of a pair are incredibly high because 2 females will pair off.

I guess 75% technically. With a group of 4 the chances of a pair are incredibly high because 2 females will pair off.

2 female angels will pair off with each other? I was under the impression it was for breeding? Do the males also pair off with each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

2 female angels will pair off with each other? I was under the impression it was for breeding? Do the males also pair off with each other?

You're going to sex them in the store? How do you know what sex you're about to aquire?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Farlowellas (sp ?) are also really great! I have had a few and loved them. They are more sensitive than the bnp or the rubberlip IME, but so are otos, soooo.... but hey, whatever floats your boat. :)

Otos and a whiptail species like sturisoma aureum would be awesome.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You're going to sex them in the store? How do you know what sex you're about to aquire?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, I can't sex in store as they're juveniles. Sinibiota mentioned that two females can pair off (I think) and I was asking about that.

IF that's true and I decided to do 4, not 2, then the plan would be to buy 4 juveniles and once I could sex them, remove the females and eventually end up with 4 males.

Would I be better off doing 2 GBR & 2 angelfish instead of 4 Angels? No potential conflicts here outside of spawning, correct?

Would I be better off doing 2 GBR & 2 angelfish instead of 4 Angels? No potential conflicts here outside of spawning, correct?

This sounds like a way better idea. Angelfish spawn "up" and rams spawn "down".

Yeah that sounds like a plan. I had 3 juvenile angels in my tank at first and had to re-home 1 when the other two paired and mugged him. You will have a much more peaceful tank. Getting a large adult pair would be nice, you wouldn't have to worry as much about if they are going to get along or not. Instead of GBRs you could also do apistos or Bolivian rams. GBRs are know to be prone to random deaths due to inbreeding and poor genetics. Apistos are usually a lot hardier, the same goes for bolivians.

Back
Top Bottom