Otocinclus vs Corydora Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandomUsername

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 23 gallon tank and would like some catfish. I was thinking otocinclus or Corydora but I don't know. I've heard a lot of good things about both :) if you have a preference which species you like in either Otocinclus or Corydora that'd also be helpful :D

I have a 23 gallon tank and would like some catfish. I was thinking otocinclus or Corydora but I don't know. I've heard a lot of good things about both :) if you have a preference which species you like in either Otocinclus or Corydora that'd also be helpful :D

Why not get both? They are both great fish. To be honest though I would probably say I prefer the ottocinclus. Cories have never been real active for me. I may try again but I have had little luck. Pygmy cories would be the exception. I had a tank with those that was beyond active. I ried again and they were always hiding. They prefer dark substrate.
Ottos look like sharks as they mature. They spend alot of time stuck to decor or glass but when the swim they just have thus really cool shark like appearence. And if money isnt an issue zebra ottocinclus are awesome!
Ottos are not as easy to establish however. IMO they should not be kept in a tank without live plants and possibly not without driftwood (at least at first).

Why not get both? They are both great fish. To be honest though I would probably say I prefer the ottocinclus. Cories have never been real active for me. I may try again but I have had little luck. Pygmy cories would be the exception. I had a tank with those that was beyond active. I ried again and they were always hiding. They prefer dark substrate. Ottos look like sharks as they mature. They spend alot of time stuck to decor or glass but when the swim they just have thus really cool shark like appearence. And if money isnt an issue zebra ottocinclus are awesome! Ottos are not as easy to establish however. IMO they should not be kept in a tank without live plants and possibly not without driftwood (at least at first).
Thank you :D I do like the look of Ottos better, those zebra ones are amazing!

Thank you :D I do like the look of Ottos better, those zebra ones are amazing!

They are! I am thinking about saving up alittle and getting a school. It is hard because all ottos are prone to randomely die after a short period of time for no reason. Once established they are like little tanks but they are very delicate at first!
I very highly recomend getting the tank established having live plants and driftwood before purchasing these guys. It is also very important to look for healthy individuals at the store.
I had some that schooled with my habrousous cories while I had then. Very funny to watch. There is a video out there somewhere of a school of 750 ottos in a huge tank that is very very cool!

They are! I am thinking about saving up alittle and getting a school. It is hard because all ottos are prone to randomely die after a short period of time for no reason. Once established they are like little tanks but they are very delicate at first! I very highly recomend getting the tank established having live plants and driftwood before purchasing these guys. It is also very important to look for healthy individuals at the store. I had some that schooled with my habrousous cories while I had then. Very funny to watch. There is a video out there somewhere of a school of 750 ottos in a huge tank that is very very cool!
Well dying's never good! I'll wait a few months before getting some. It'll give me some time to save up :)

What few people know is a good portion of the wild caught Oto's are collected by using cyanide in the water to stun them for easy collection. Some die outright but others that live have to exchange hands and various water conditions, often multiple shippings, and by the time they get to a home aquarium not only are they weak and often starving for lack of proper food during this process but they are also dealing with the residual affects of the poison that is in their system from the collection process.

There are other options available depending on the size of the tank and current stock. There are small loaches like Dwarf Chain Loaches and then very small loaches like Burmese Rosy Loaches and Pygmy Multi Striped Loaches. I kept both of the latter species. They are only about an inch or so long and active as can be. You just can't keep a school of them with larger fish. Here's a picture of a male (colored) and female (spotted) Burmese Rosy Loach in my 55g... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 55g Planted- Nano fish - Picture.

Another option that is in the cory cat family are Aspidoras. I have two different types and they are extremely active. Here's a pic of a couple of my Aspidoras spilotus... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/64804-albums13010-picture60366.html.

What few people know is a good portion of the wild caught Oto's are collected by using cyanide in the water to stun them for easy collection. Some die outright but others that live have to exchange hands and various water conditions, often multiple shippings, and by the time they get to a home aquarium not only are they weak and often starving for lack of proper food during this process but they are also dealing with the residual affects of the poison that is in their system from the collection process. There are other options available depending on the size of the tank and current stock. There are small loaches like Dwarf Chain Loaches and then very small loaches like Burmese Rosy Loaches and Pygmy Multi Striped Loaches. I kept both of the latter species. They are only about an inch or so long and active as can be. You just can't keep a school of them with larger fish. Here's a picture of a male (colored) and female (spotted) Burmese Rosy Loach in my 55g... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 55g Planted- Nano fish - Picture. Another option that is in the cory cat family are Aspidoras. I have two different types and they are extremely active. Here's a pic of a couple of my Aspidoras spilotus... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/64804-albums13010-picture60366.html.
That's horrible! No wonder they die quickly! I was thinking of some striped loaches but do they bother smaller fish?

Most loaches don't bother fish but you need to check the adult size of the loaches your interested in to be sure they are the proper size for your aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom