Otos and pH 7.5 ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I had aquariums in Germany I always had a pH of 7 and could keep pretty much everything (tried to keep fishes for that pH).

Can I keep Otos (since they are wildcaught as I understand) in a pH of 7.5 or would that be a bad idea?

My kH is 7 right now, but I'm planning on adding pressurised CO2 by the next few days which might drop the water to what if I add about 20ppm of it? Would that be ok for the otos?

They should be fine. Ottos can be very sensative. Sometimes you get a bach and no matter what you do they just die.

Good luck.

Also keep in mind that a stable pH is better than a "perfect" pH. Acclimate them slowly and hope they are from a good batch.

I agree with the above. Otos should do well in water up to pH 8.0 as long as the water quality is good and they have a good food source.

I've read from many different sources that a pH of up to 7.5 is ok for them, although a little lower is probably more preferred.

Of course I've worried about that, too. Have another thread in the "general discussion"forum about it, since I was wondering if they might starve if they don't really like to take spirulina tabs and veggies.

my pH is like 8.2 and ive kept otos inther for about 2 months now. I have tried to mess with my pH but in the end, the fish are just happier once i leave it alone adn they do jsut fine, just chekc out my sig.

Back
Top Bottom