otos not touching diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do their nutritional needs change over time?(less algae when they get older and more veggies like plecos?) I have a bit of diatoms in the tank that I have purposely left because I thought the otos might like it, but they haven't touched it. They also hide all day and come out in the evening and morning, If I get some more, will they become more active or will they all hide?

They're very shy fish. In a 55gal 6 otos would be a good number.

ooooh 6? I am so afraid to put fish in my tank. I really really really don't want to over stock, I know that 6 otos is FAR from the limit, but I don't know what I may get in the future. That would be SO fun though to have 6 of them in there. I will definitely consider it.

you have 1 ghost shrip, one angel and 2 ottos in a 55 gallon tank :p... you are far from over stocking :p lol.... can you ever find your one ghost shrimp? we have 50 of them in our tanks at petsmart and they are hard enough to find :-D

Hi,

i have a 29 gal with three ottos and they cleared almost every bit of diatoms from my tank..IMO with a 55gal they are probably finding enough to eat in other areas of the tank.

hmmm... diatoms are the brown algae? how long do you think a few ottos would last in a tank of african cichlids? lol... i really want to get rid of this brown crap :-\

Meredith,
Oto's are "groupies"! :lol: They love to be with other otos....so part of their shyness will go away if you add 3 or 4 more to the existing group. The aren't huge waist producers so you'd be very safe having 6-7 in your tank. :wink:

Plus they are more fun to watch when in a larger cluster. (that's when their personalities shine!!) :mrgreen:

Good Luck!
* Try a wedge of cucumber or zuchinni as a supplement. Put it in at night....oto's tend to be nocturnal eaters in general.

BTW, I have a pleco and 4 otos in my 46g tank.....haven't scrubbed my tank AT ALL since I've added them (approx. 4 months ago). It's squeaky clean!!! :lol:

I agree completely that they are shy and not taking care of business because they do not feel as comfortable as they would in a slightly larger group.

Otos would not last very long at all in an African tank - the favorite for those tanks would be a pleco, and Ancistrus work well for the smaller African tanks.

could someone tell me what an otos is? i gather the pleco is a plecostamus (algae eater), but what do the otos look like and what is their full name? anyone have any pics of them?

Back
Top Bottom