Ottos with SA puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raimeiken

Aquarium Advice Activist
will the puffers attack them? I need the ottos to clean my heavy planted tank. I have a clown pleco in there and he's not doing his job, he just sits on the driftwood all day. As you probably already know that i'm going to be collecting small fancier plecos, i don't think any of them are algea eaters, they're mostly carnivorous i think, that's why i'm thinking of getting probably 2 ottos.

Should be no problem. How are your puffer's teeth? I have to trim my SAP's teeth every 6 months or so.

I don't have the puffers yet, I'm getting them this coming week. I'll get 4 of them, and i'll buy some ramshorn snaiuls on ebay and put them in my backyard pond :mrgreen:

Unless you feed them a staple diet of only snails daily, SAPs definately have long-tooth problems.

I have an SA puffer and I can guarantee that you will enevtually have to trim its teeth even if you give him snails everyday. Mine has a pretty generous supply of snails to munch but does not eat them everyday, he loves his frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and even flake food!!!! Don't worry trimming their teeth is not that bad. I find after I do mines he is 10x happier then when he had a long tooth annoying him.

I have five otos in with my SA puffer and I've seen him snap at them before when they're hanging out on the glass. :evil:

I've noticed that the otos in that tank don't do nearly as good a job as the ones in my 30 gallon tank. They hide a lot (obviously trying to stay out of my puffer's way...).

Surprisingly, they don't seem to have chewed up fins and it isn't like he constantly goes after them. Its almost as if he's curious as to what they might taste like, or he thinks they're some sort of snail.

I know all puffers are different, and I might have a fairly aggressive SA. I've got four danios in the tank though, and have never once seen him try to bite one of them. I just think he's curious about the otos since they hang out on the glass...

Back
Top Bottom