Our New Angel is Blushing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMaiden

Aquarium Advice Freak
That place between sleeping and awake, where drea
Hey all,
I just bought my son his very first angelfish. It's a black lace, and after he settled down in his new home I fed him bloodworms and flakes. Now his cheeks are blushing a deep dark but brilliant turqouis color, and hes a black fish! Is this normal, does it mean hes happy? I've heard they can change colors when their mood changes but wow! I mean it's not like glow in the dark or brilliant aura blind you blue, :D but you can still see it plain as day. I know if he gets startled hell turn a light black kinda brown color. I just thought the blue was really beautiful and neat. If anyone can tell me what they know about angels that would be great, I need some good advice on any special needs or things to look for as well. All comments and help welcome!! Thanks Everyone!!

Congrats on your new acquisition, he sounds very healthy. A picture of him would be best, if only to identify the exact strain you have. It could be a veil/blusher mix, which would be outstanding.

I will be glad to post piccies in a while. I have the ole' film camera so I have to get more film. I bought batteries for my flash earlier and forgot film, heh heh I was excited about the new fish. :) Come to think of it I forgot the milk as well! ROFL Maybe I was a little too excited. :) So anyway its normal for them to blush then?
Also what kind of freeze dried foods do they like best? Brine shrimp perhaps? Oh yeah, how long do I have to wait to do a gravel vac and water change after I've gotten him as to not excite him too much and give him a heart attack or something? I want to keep my water good and clean but I don't wanna kill him either. Suggestions?

Not sure on the food, but most members here will recommend a varied diet of both plant and protein products. I like to soak my freeze dried products in a dixie cup of tank water for a minute or so before adding to the tank to wet it. This will remove some of the air trapped and expand the food a bit so the food doesn't expand in the angel! :)

I'd continue on your normal PWC schedule, just make sure you leave the water level high enough to accomidate the angel's size/shape. One thing you could do the day before the PWC would be to place the gravel vac in the tank overnight so he gets used to the presence of it. The stress introduced will be more than made up for by better water quality.

And get those pictures! (and milk ;) )

LOL Yeah, It'd be nice to have some cold milk after giving myself heartburn worrying about getting just the right exposure when I go to take the pics! Now when you do the pictures you turn the lights to the room off and leave the tank light on and then snap the pics with the flash right? I'd like to take some decent pics so you can see him blushing. He's got a ways to grow yet but he's already looking gorgeous. His top big fin and his tail looks like it could use a tad of healing though. He was in a tank with a lot of angels and apparently somone was a bit of a bully. I picked him out of the whole bunch of em though and brought him home to live in my 29 gal with some gourami and snails so no more bullies for him. He's going to be the king of the tank! :) Thanks for all the advice so far guys, keep it coming I appreaciate every bit of it.

I have 2 black striped angels (with black stripes) and I noticed recently that they have some metallic blue coloring on their cheeks. I believe its just part of their coloring because there is nothing wrong with them. Just thought I'd let ya know...;)

The best way is probably as you mentioned. Take the shot somewhat off angle so the flash isn't caught on the tank (like a 25-30 degree angle. This will illuminate the angel and normally show some of the metallic colors that you might not see otherwise (my tiger's black stripes have a blue hue to them under flash).

You want FAST film (probably 400) and a very quick shutter speed otherwise if he's moving it will be blurry.

It's so funny. I haven't talked normal film camera technique in a LONG while. :)

JustOneMore20 said:
I have 2 black striped angels (with black stripes) and I noticed recently that they have some metallic blue coloring on their cheeks. I believe its just part of their coloring because there is nothing wrong with them. Just thought I'd let ya know...;)

now that you mention it, my chromides have a bright metallic strip under their eyes. maybe a sign they're readdy for brackish water?

Back
Top Bottom