Outside Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeverumGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some help. My girlfriend already has a 10g aquarium that was set up about 5 months ago. I'm planning on giving her my 29g because I really don't need it and she wants to upgrade for the benefit of her fish. The problem is that her house has no heat so during the winter it gets as cold as it is outside. Will the aquariums be okay as long as they have a proper size heater?

How cold is it outside???

The usual heater sizing rule allows for around 18 degree (F) difference between ambient & tank temp. If the house is much colder, you would need a bigger heater (or better yet, 2 smaller heaters for redundancy). You can also put blankets/insulation around the tank at night or during the really cold days to help keep in heat.

It's not too bad right now, but around here it'll get below 30 outside. Any idea what size or sizes to get?

I need some help. My girlfriend already has a 10g aquarium that was set up about 5 months ago. I'm planning on giving her my 29g because I really don't need it and she wants to upgrade for the benefit of her fish. The problem is that her house has no heat so during the winter it gets as cold as it is outside. Will the aquariums be okay as long as they have a proper size heater?

Even an unheated house won't be as cold as outside, and especially won't be subject to winds which can affect the effective temperature considerably.

Having said that I've heard stories of people having ice inside their bedroom windows, I can't think that would be good for the fish. But if you do want to go ahead then you'll need a heater which is rated for a much bigger tank and make sure that the hood is well insulated to prevent heat loss. But you'll be paying quite a bit in electricity to keep the water to fishy temperature!

the upgrade will also make it easier to keep the water stable. i would make sure to keep a lid and it tightly sealed to keep the heat in. in the winter time might want to have a extra heater in there to help keep the temps stable.

I bought her a second heater today. It's a 150watt and I think the original one is 100watts. The 100 watt was turned all the way up at my house and only getting to temp to 75 degrees. I like my tanks to be around 77. I probably will get her a space heater. It's an old mobile home with crappy insulation and a tin roof so it really does get down to the thirties in her house. She has to sleep with a heating blanket.

Im speechless... spend some money on heat for the house

maby look into gettin a livestock water tank heater. it wont keep it at 75 but it will help the reg aquaium heater keep up. there made to keep taks from frezzing but some are ajustable so you be able to get it to get the water up to 50. there rated for the size of tank your gona put it in so maby one for a 30 or 50 gal would work for you.

it were me i would put my $$ in to getting some heat in the house and forego setting up another tank(witch cost more $$). but some wether proofing plastic over the windows and some straw bales around the bottom should help keep it warmer inside. moe the bed into the living room and close off the bed rooms. and only heat the bathroom, living room and the kitchen. then i would think 1 or 2 of the hot oil heaters (the ones that look like a boiler regester) 1 in the bathroom and 1 in the living room should keep it in the 60s atleast(lot better than 30s)

Mark thats condensation that freezes. Ive had it on walls before, needless to say I reinsulated and took care of the air gap problems.

I wouldnt keep a tank outside in SC, Ive lived in columbia and A deep pond yes but not a tank, the temp swings down there are nuts. spring of 99 it snowed 5" on us and by morning mess call it was in the 70's

It's not her house..it's her moms and stepdads. They're nothing but redneck trash and won't pay for anything. It's amazing cause they live in a dumpy trailer that was given to them buy my girlfriends grandma. The only thing they spend money on is a mustang they bought brand new three years ago. I hate them, but nothing we can do about it. I'll invest in a space heater for her to keep in her room so the temp should stay nice and warm inside

Not sure what your living arrangements are and how well you are along in the relationship...but **** if i where you, I'd tell her to move in with me.

Funny cuz I was tired of the BS my GF's parents treated her and thats what I did about 3 months into our relationship and we couldn't be any happier. (more funny is we met on WoW XD)

World of Warcraft omg... Im sorry thats like crazy...

Actually, In the game... alot of the couples that we play with did in fact meet off the game and are very happy with each other. I got me a fiery red head that is a lil cutie :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom