Over Feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BassSoLow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all!

I have a question about feeding fish.

My current stock is...

2 dwarf gouramis
3 hatchets
7 cardinal tetras
1 swordtail
1 molly
2 Platys
3 white tetras
4 candy cane tetras
1 balloon belly ram

The food I have is spectrum small fish formula. They are small pellets.

My question is how much and how often to feed the fish.

Currently I have been feeding them twice daily. About two or three pinches at a time.

Does that seem right?

I would really like to find a more definitive answer than what I have found browsing the internet.

Thanks for the help!

ForumRunner_20130621_203342.jpg

You'll probably get different answers on this question depending on who you ask :) If the fish are eating the food and there's none left over then I'd say you're fine. I personally just feed once a day and skip a day or two during the week but others feed more often or less.

It really depends on the situation. If you're trying to condition your fish for breeding, if you're growing them out, etc. You may want to feed more often. However in a regular community most only feed once a day. Nothing is wrong with feeding more frequently, just make sure that it all is being eaten and your fish aren't getting bloated. What I do if I want to feed two times a day is I take the amount of food I normally feed in the once daily feeding and cut it in half. I then put the other half in a small container for feeding #2 later. This way I can make sure they are not getting too much.

I feed 3x a week. Mon,wed and Friday. Skipping a day or two won't hurt your fish and keeps the tank cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom