over feeding???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ostrichkiller

Aquarium Advice Activist
everytime i put food into the tank the fish are devouring all of it that i put in. i use to only feed once every other day but now i am up to almost twice a day and it feels kinda like i am over feeding. none of the food goes un eaten but it looks like the fish are getting fat. can fish be over fed if it is all getting eaten??? or is over feeding just an issue if the food is not getting eaten and is sitting on the gravel rotting. will fish eventually get full like you and me???

thanks all.
-jim

What kind of fish?

From what I have seen fish do not get full, and always seem to want to eat :D
Overfeeding is bad. It depends on how much you feed each time. I feed my tropicals 2-3 times a day, and the koi once a day. They get whatever they can eat in 5-10 minutes then I try to do a cleanup.

I have not done personal research on this issue but "the books" all say that fishes will eat everything they are given but they will not digest it. It simply passes thru them. Excess will pass thru them all ready to foul your water. Feed once a day. In wild, fishes don’t always eat every day anyway

Just remembered a tip I was told by a man that has been keeping fishes for years. It is a bite crude but I have used it as a gauge. I have translated to web friendly terms

“If the fishes excrement is solid and sticking to the “posterior” part of the fish then it has eaten too much.”

I wonder if there is any scientific basis for this claim

++++++++++++++
Original version for the purists
if its s*** sticks to its arse then its eaten too much

Fish will eat as much as you give them, all you need to remember is the more they eat the more they wee & pooh. Fish are like humans, you get slim fish, well built fish and you get the obesity fish. Obesity is just as harming to fish as it is to humans, it kills.
feeding your fish becomes an art, watch your fish when they eat to make sure that they are getting some food. If you have a group of fish they might not all get the food when you feed in the mornings, but the ones that went without will probably eat at the next feeding.

If you see what i mean.

Back
Top Bottom