Over Stocked Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xabien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hello.
In my tank at the moment I have 5 Neon Tetras, 3 Clown Loaches, 3 Mollies and 1 Pleco. My tank is about a 33 gallon and non of the fish are very big yet. I plan to add 10 more neon tetras and 15 black neon tetras. Will this be too much?

Thanks.

They may not be big yet, but several of those get very large. The clown loaches and the pleco can easily reach a foot or more.

Xabien said:

Will this be too much?

Yes. the clown loaches grow very large. If you go to some LFS, that sell the adults and you will see that they can get over 12inches.

Your tetra count will be 30. They are not large fishes but I will not have more than 20 in an extremely well cycled tank. Also they will be bumping into each other. The pleco apparently has a high bio load and judging by the amount of algae they shift, it does not surprise me.

Bottom line, assuming we are negotiating a deal, I suggest loose 5 tetra and all clown loaches and you could keep the rest. What do you say? You will still have 25 tetras, 3 mollies and the pleco. Or swap some tetra for other similar sized fishes

I agree with teryy and scott, drop the peco and get some ottos (mini algae eaters). They are good algae eaters for their size and don't grow so big too. Adding that many neon tetras to what you already have will be really over stocking your tank, I wouldn't suggest it, your ammonia levels will go through the roof, especially with that pleco in there. They are pooping machines.

whats your filtration in that tank?

I didn't mention it because it was already said but the clown loaches will need to go as well. They will equall 24 to 30 inches of fish.

I would agree with what everyone said...get rid of the pleco and the clown loaches. I personally don't think, after the pleco and loaches are gone, that 30 tetras are too many...if you are very good at maintaining your tank. As peaceful schooling fish, they need less room than, say, an agressive Lake Malawi mbuna. I would also think on getting four cories and skipping the ottos, ottos are supposed to be miraculous algea eaters, but I have 4 and they don't do much of anything for the algae. The cories, however, will go a long way to eat the extra food on the bottom of the tank and prevent overfeeding.

Rubber lipped pleco is another suggestion. They're a smaller variety of pleco, and a pretty neat looking too. I believe their max size if 5-6in.\

Or a golden algea eater. I have one. He's cool. Also 4-5in

no no no.. I was talking about will the tank be over stocked at this moment in time. I plan on upgrading my tank as soon as the fish get big enough. They are all only babies at the moment :)

At the moment, no, it is understocked. Chuck 10 neons in. Not all at once though

EDIT, do not know pleco but it is not a bristle nose pleco. All others grow quite big.

I think it might be a para pleco. The L number was L075. It's supposed to only grow 8 inches. Maybe I'm wrong though. :oops:

Its an Ancistomus; should reach about 8 inches or so as you were told. Not a lot of em out there tho; he may surprise you as theres not a huge amount of info on em yet ;)

Back
Top Bottom