Overabundant algae causing unidentified (scary) organism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goalorientation

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help.

29g w/ 30 whisper and 10 in tank filters.
1 convict 1 blood parrot 3 jewel cichlids and 1 synodontis eupterus (african catfish)

There has been a dramatic increase in algae grown in this tank. I have been forced to do 40%'s on a biweekly basis, however, the algae does not die! It's all over the glass (which I scrub) and is making the water cloudy. Just tonight I became particularly concerned when I looked closer and saw tiny white organisms crawling on the glass, obviously feeding on this algae. This freaks me out. What in the world could it be? Little whiteish wormlike organisms are obviously outrageously populating fish tank! Next maintainence I'm going to discard all the decorations, scrub the glass, and do a 50% water change. What can I do to get this tank under control? Do the whisper filters suck so bad that they need to be replaced? Is adding a (or several) algae eaters to the tank a potential solution? Please help me!!!

I've heard chinese algae eaters are amazingly fast at cleaning up excessive algae. Once the algae is gone and they don't have as much food, i've heard they don't seem very happy.

The worms are probably harmless nematodes or planaria. Usually caused by over feeding. Do extra water changes and cut back on feedings and the worms will clear up. The algae issue is another story, buying a fish to solve your algae problem is a bandaid fix, you need to test your parameters and post your lighting in order for members to help you discover the cause of your algae issues.

Moved to General discussion as no unhealthy fish.

Hmm, overstocked tank with bi-weekly water changes, methinks high nitrates are the cause of the algae overabundance...

Do you have a test kit?

If so please post your Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate levels. Anything else you can test for as well. I this a planted tank? How long are your lights daily? What kind of lights do you have? Is this tank near a window?

These and other questions, when answered, will help everybody get an idea about what is going on in your tank.

If you do not have a test kit, now would be a good time to get one. You can also take a sample of water to your LFS and ask them to test it for you.

It does sound like over feeding may be playing a part in your problems, as well as a fairly large amount of bioload from fish and their habits.

SparKy697 said:
Do you have a test kit?

If so please post your Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate levels. Anything else you can test for as well. I this a planted tank? How long are your lights daily? What kind of lights do you have? Is this tank near a window?

I didn't even think of it being near a window. Good point. The front of my tank is about 15-20 feet from a window and sometimes you can see algae build up between the gravel substrate and glass.

the window is probably the cause. i had had my tank for a few months and never had a problem with algae because the way my dorm room is set up the tank isn't reached by sunlight. however, when i took it home for christmas break the only surface that could support the tank was next to a window. it was only a temporary thing, but i had a huge algae break out. you may want to consider moving your tank. i know that next time i went home i made sure there was another place to put it.

Back
Top Bottom