Overcoming PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my area the PH is between 7.6 - 7.8. It could even be a little bit higher. Can you think of a way to overcome this PH? My friend has a RO unit for drinking water and for now i was gonna go over there and get water but the water there settles around 6.2 - 6.4 i think. So i either got really high ph water or really low ph water. Can anyone think of a way to lower the ph or do you think they would be fine in such high ph? Or do you think that they would be better in lower PH?

that Ph level is fine that you have now.

who are they?

I had neons in 8.8 Ph, they lived for years. Ph matters but it doesnt really(stay in a healthy range) as long as there is no hard swings or drastic raises or drops in the Ph.

They will be fine in pH of 7.6 ....

But if you really want to muck around, you an mix RO with tap at 1:1, that should get you into the low 7's. However, unless you are breeding sensitive fish, this is not necessary. In the long run, it would be better to stick with the water you have.

zok, that is what i wanted to make sure. I did it again and i think it is closer to the 7.8 to 7.9 range. I am so nervous about doing this. I am upgrading so my fish have more room and watch, i willkill every single 1 of them.

Ok, i just wanted to make sure. I think i am gonna do a 1:1 ratio just in case. But i will probably start doing water changes with my water.

zok, that is what i wanted to make sure. I did it again and i think it is closer to the 7.8 to 7.9 range. I am so nervous about doing this. I am upgrading so my fish have more room and watch, i willkill every single 1 of them.

That pH is perfectly fine. I have discus that have been in a pH of 8.0 and a GH of over 300ppm for several years and they are perfectly healthy. They have even spawned for me on several occasions.

pH means very little to the "everyday" aquarium owner and fishkeeper. The pH that you have is in the range which is acceptable to nearly all freshwater species. You have a better chance of killing your fish if you try adjusting the pH not knowing what you are doing...seriously.

Back
Top Bottom