Overcrouding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you think my current setup is big enough for my fish?

All the fish seem fine, none of them fight, and they all seem lively and active, if there is too many i'll just move a few into my QT until/if I get a bigger tank.

Thanks in advance. :)

Current Setup: (From sig)
58UK litre, Rena Filstar filter, 300W heater
1 Albino Corydoras
1 Transparent Corydoras
3 Neon Tetras
3 Male Guppys
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Bulldog Pleco
1 Kissing Gourami
2 AquaSnails
14 Minows

The pleco is going to get bi g i think, but if they seeem fine and you have no ammonia then keep them all in until the bigger tank comes

The Bulldog pleco I BELIEVE only gets to be about 4 or 5 inches. But, I could be wrong. I just remember trying to find one beacuse someone said it would be perfect for my 29 gal tank. Never did find one. I'm not sure how big 58 liters is in gallons, so I can't help you out there.

Your current stock is pretty heavy. The cory's like to be in groups so having 1 of each specie isn't really optimal. THe stock sounds great except for the 14 minnows.

If you remove the 14 minnows, you will be fine, unless you would get rid of a couple of the other fish. I just suggested the minnows because it is one group of fish.

Remember one of the cardinal rules of fish keeping. Your tank is never big enough and you don't have enough of them. :D

The rainbow shark, kissing gourami, and minnows should go IMO. If it's 15 gals that's way too small of a tank. :(

Well, I might be breaking the rules, but I love my fish are i'm not about to send them all down the LFS.

We're talking about my 3 best looking fish here RoK, it's not like it's some odd tetra. I'd be left with 2 Apple Snails, 2 Cories, 3 Tetras, 1 Pleco, and 3 Guppys, this seems slighty odd, my tank would look empty constantly, it's what I started with and well 50% of the time I was looking for fish!

They all look happy, never fight, always swimming, bright, clean and perfect. Lots of places to hide lots of plants 2 air streams. They could'nt get any better if they tryed.

But if I do see some fighting, weird behaviour, i'll move them.

But I am going to move 60% of the minows to my friends tank, his is 35 gallons and well has about 7 fish in it, so I guess they'll like the space, unless im overvrouding again :|

Well i n my opinion you are definetly overstocked. I cannot see a set up like that being suitable in the long term.

If I were you I would return the Rainbow Shark, he will probably become a problem in the future. I would also try to get another tank, how big is your QT? Maybe you could just split the fish -minus shark- between the two tanks.

If possible though get a larger tank and up the Tetra schools to 6 of each, and add more Corys.

I agree with redwiptailplec. You may not think it is overstocked now, but it is not suitable for the long term. The water quality will lessen and the fish will become unhappy. Imagine this, I had 80 inches of fish in a 55 gal tank. They all looked happy and healthy, but I knew that it was not suitable for them. That's why we upgraded tanks. If you refuse to take back a couple of the fish, consider buying another tank, possibly a 29 gal, or even a 55 gal.

No one's mentioned the gourami yet, but 'kissing' gourami get to be almost 12"! Yet another fish that will get entirely too big for a tank that size. :\

It is so easy to over stock an aquarium. The biggest problem with an over stocked aquarium in that all your doing is displaying fish. They don't have any room to swim around without bumping into somebody. I've found that my fish act more natural when the tank is just slightly under stocked. also helps to keep down my cleaning cycle. When I kept my tanks overstocked I would have to clean my tank every three days or my nitrates were way over 80ppm. Get a bigger tank or another tank.

cJw said:
No one's mentioned the gourami yet
I did! Yes, it will definitely not do well in that size tank. For the kissing gourami 12" is max, 8" is more norm I believe, that's still huge for that tank! The rainbow shark will also get huge for that tank, 6" is too big as well. They should have at least 50 gals to be comfortable.

Why are you guys keeping minnows?

What do they look like? I hope they aren't the same thing we have over here.

Are they white cloud minnows or something?

Back
Top Bottom