Overdosing Phosban - Ferric Oxide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Cola1151

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I know that Ferric Oxide (Phosban) will take out the phosphates in your tank, but will it harm the inhabitants if I put in more? I'm not talking a lot but maybe 3grams or 4grams more. I have a small 20gallon tank and I have been battling black beard algae since the holidays. The Phosban I put in it has not shown any difference. From what I read, the plants need phosphates and can get harmed but I think if I kill the algae fast enough then I can take out the excess media.

Waiting for your insights.

I've not tested this but from what I know and have heard of for river treatment, I'm not aware of any issues with overdosing slightly. I haven't used this product though. I would think as long as an oxide (and not a sulphide) it should be reasonably safe.

Been reading that the phosphates are important to your plants. But! Is it absolutely necessary to have? To my knowledge the main food for algae would be phosphates, so if I take those out then my algae problem would be gone.

For now I took out my bag of phosban and would return it when I get an OK. One of my plants decided to take a plunge so I am a bit worried that I shouldn't have put that there.

Phosphate is major macro element which plants need and usually comes from fish food (plus any dosing). You have to supply everything the plant needs or it gets stressed and algae attacks it ime.

Where are you getting the BBA?

Thoughts would be to cut back lights to 6 hours. Also reduce any blue light. Increase CO2 if injected / check not fluctuating.

Also dose a liquid carbon (glut) which is also a low level algaecide and will kill the BBA off over time. Half dose the liquid carbon until you know plants are fine with it. You can also spot treat with hydrogen peroxide.

Back
Top Bottom