Overpopulated Guppy Tank - NW OK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scytodes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank equipped with a 30gal Topfin Heater and 30gal Topfin Power filter. Housed in the 30 gallon is roughly 20-30 guppies.

My mother adopted a few from a co-worker and has allowed them to overpopulate. I have returned home and wanted to be the one to start taking care of them.

I started by removing safe zones for fry and the automated feeder she provided for them. I read that guppies mate once a month regardless of supply of food and fry will hang out in unsafe zones casually. My intention at this point was to use them as feeder fish for various animals (betta, amphibians), until their population was under control. Once the guppy population was managed I was planning on introducing community fish and a betta to the 30gal.
I have been feeding the guppies a variety of foods to gut load them, which has made them more active and appearing healthier. I tried feeding more of the larger bunch to my amphibians but it did not work out. I introduced a betta to one of my smaller (10gal) aquariums to consume the fry. I lucked out with the betta, he is nice and hangs out with the fry instead of consuming them.

I am at a loss of answers on what I can do to control their population. They do not act unhealthy for euthanasia to be the answer.

If there is any advice that can be given to better control the population it would be immensely appreciated. Also, if anyone is located in Northwest Oklahoma who would like to adopt these guppies feel free to contact me.

https://imgur.com/a/P1axN4m

Back
Top Bottom