Overstock Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojo75931

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I was wondering if you can have 5 Ranchu in a 40 gallon with 2 Aquaclear HOB 110 filters. Is that fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi,

I was wondering if you can have 5 Ranchu in a 40 gallon with 2 Aquaclear HOB 110 filters. Is that fine?

Definitely overstocked. They would be ok for a little while but a good general rule is 20 gallons per goldfish.

Definitely overstocked. They would be ok for a little while but a good general rule is 20 gallons per goldfish.

The filtration would be wonderful. Great GPH. Think the rule is 30g for the first goldfish then add 10g for each additional. So you are looking at a 70g, or the easier to find, 75g tank for 5 of them.

Caleb

The filtration would be wonderful. Great GPH. Think the rule is 30g for the first goldfish then add 10g for each additional. So you are looking at a 70g, or the easier to find, 75g tank for 5 of them.

Caleb

I second that

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431969079.765820.jpg
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the white dots its having?

Am I correct thinking it is fungus?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

By the picture in assuming you already have the ranchu. It's probably Ich in its early stages from the overstocking.

Caleb

While I agree based on the raised white spots, I have mixed feelings on over stocking and disease. As long as you keep good water quality-which over stocking reduces the chances of- stress is low on the fish and disease is minimal or doesn't exist.

I have 7 4-6" goldfish and now one 5" koi in 70 gallons of water without problems. The goldies have been there for over a year, and I lost a female due to spawning activity this week, hence the koi. Now they are extremely resilient fish, but it is mainly because they are in clean water that they are happy and healthy, in my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

While I agree based on the raised white spots, I have mixed feelings on over stocking and disease. As long as you keep good water quality-which over stocking reduces the chances of- stress is low on the fish and disease is minimal or doesn't exist.

I have 7 4-6" goldfish and now one 5" koi in 70 gallons of water without problems. The goldies have been there for over a year, and I lost a female due to spawning activity this week, hence the koi. Now they are extremely resilient fish, but it is mainly because they are in clean water that they are happy and healthy, in my opinion.

That's with exceptional water quality it can be done as a temporary home. Yours are also going to a pond though if you ever finish it :) we don't know the condition of the water in OP's tank so it's hard to say.

Caleb

Thanks guys. The pharmacist that i work with knows a guy that selling his 8 feet long tank...so =200 gal? And im trying to upgrade it

Thanks guys. The pharmacist that i work with knows a guy that selling his 8 feet long tank...so =200 gal? And im trying to upgrade it

You could always split them between a few tanks. Not as impressive, but you could stagger the water changes instead of doing a change on that giant tank.

Looks like breeding stars to me.
Are the spots around his head and fins, or are they all over his body?

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Back
Top Bottom