Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carowoot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55-60L estabilshed tank with 3 plants.

There are 3 albino cories, 2 dwarf gouramis, a baby bristlenose (will move to bigger tank when it's older), 1 Molly & 8 neon tetras.
I'm asking because I really like this setup, but I do have another tank bigger than this with 2 sailfin mollies and 3 small wild guppies (they're about the size of neon tetras). So if you think I need to move some fish to that tank I can. Or I could set up a smaller tank an put the neon tetras in.
I just like these guys all together, they look lovely in this tank, but I don't want them to get sick or die so I will do what's best. Opinions?

My filter is 700L/h and works a good as new, if that makes a difference?

Tank Stocking

I have a 55-60L estabilshed tank with 3 plants.

There are 3 albino cories, 2 dwarf gouramis, a baby bristlenose (will move to bigger tank when it's older), 1 Molly & 8 neon tetras.
I'm asking because I really like this setup, but I do have another tank bigger than this with 2 sailfin mollies and 3 small wild guppies (they're about the size of neon tetras). So if you think I need to move some fish to that tank I can. Or I could set up a smaller tank an put the neon tetras in.
I just like these guys all together, they look lovely in this tank, but I don't want them to get sick or die so I will do what's best. Opinions?

Hello Car...

Here's a 2006 version from the 2nd edition of FW Aquariums for Dummies of determining the number of fish you can safely have in a tank: Using a yardstick, measure the length and the width of the tank. Multiply the length times the width and divide by 12.5. The 12.5 is the tank surface area in inches, that's recommened for every inch of adult fish. This will give you a close estimate.

Try it and see where you are in stocking your tank.

I keep a few more, small fish than usual, because I do large, frequent water changes. But, that's just the way I do things. Tank keeping is far from an "exact" science. There are always alternatives and conflicting opinions.

B

Back
Top Bottom