Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraceGish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone advise me if they think my tank is overstocked?

It's a 65 litre tank
-2 dwarf gouramis
-8 neon tetras
-6 cherry barbs
-4 corys
-1 bn pleco - currently tiny but will be going in the bigger tank

Attachments

• image-164915568.jpg
    image-164915568.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 64
Definitely overstocked Bristlenose plecos need at least a 200liter or 30gallon tank

Bn is still tiny - she will go in my 4ft when she's a little bigger

If I move the barbs would it be ok? I'm considering putting them in the 4ft but a little concerned about the angels and ruby shark snacking on them?!

I will be the unpopular one. Sounds fine to me. Yes the BN is going to out grow the tank but as you said it is tiny and will be rehomed. Without the BN you are just over 100% stocked according to aqadvisor that takes into account all adult size fish. I wouldnt add any more but you are fine just keep up on weekly water changes.

You may want to keep an eye on the gouramies they might get aggressive with one another. I will only keep 1 gourami per tank.

Keep an eye on the parameters, surely if the tank isn't going through constant ammonia/nitrites spikes and maintained it should be ok?

I will be the unpopular one. Sounds fine to me. Yes the BN is going to out grow the tank but as you said it is tiny.

I am going to echo rivers on this. For the most part the stocking sounds fine. I would absolutely remove one of the gourami due to aggression issues and if the pleco leaves when it grows a bit everything should be fine assuming you keep on top of water changes.

Keep an eye on the parameters, surely if the tank isn't going through constant ammonia/nitrites spikes and maintained it should be ok?

I test the water weekly - ammonia and nitrites remain at 0. Nitrates never above 20, I'm still working on this!

I will be the unpopular one. Sounds fine to me. Yes the BN is going to out grow the tank but as you said it is tiny and will be rehomed. Without the BN you are just over 100% stocked according to aqadvisor that takes into account all adult size fish. I wouldnt add any more but you are fine just keep up on weekly water changes. You may want to keep an eye on the gouramies they might get aggressive with one another. I will only keep 1 gourami per tank.

I've never seen the gouramis show any aggression, they appear to get on really well. Will this change as they get older? They are not fully grown yet

I am going to echo rivers on this. For the most part the stocking sounds fine. I would absolutely remove one of the gourami due to aggression issues and if the pleco leaves when it grows a bit everything should be fine assuming you keep on top of water changes.

Thanks for your reply. The gouramis currently appear to be getting on really well, will this change as they get older?

I'm very strict on water changes. Once a week without fail.

Thanks for your reply. The gouramis currently appear to be getting on really well, will this change as they get older?

I'm very strict on water changes. Once a week without fail.

It will likely change eventually. I've seen more pairs of gouramis fight constantly that I've seen get along. It's especially true with Dwarf gourami

Just test the water, and watch. As long as the fish are happy and healthy then you are fine. I have always over stocked, over filtered, and done large water canges. By "happy' I mean they show their naturaul colors, and arent hiding or breathing heavy.

I've never seen the gouramis show any aggression, they appear to get on really well. Will this change as they get older? They are not fully grown yet

It most likely will change when they sexually mature. Gouramies don't tend to like eachother for some reason. You may luck out and it will work but if one starts chasing the other rehome one of them because it isn't going to stop.

Back
Top Bottom