Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I have a cycled 20 gal high tank. and little by little, I've been adding fish. this is what I have:

2 praecox rainbows
2 dwarf gouramis
8 neon tetras
3 black skirt tetras
2 female bettas (very calm, never seen them attack another fish)
2 fancy guppies.

The guppies may not stay depending if the bettas get along with them or not. Is it too stocked, or can I put a few more fish in there? if so, what else can I get?

and speaking of guppies and bettas, From your personal experience, have you ever have guppies and female bettas get along? A friend bought me the guppies and I didnt have the heart to tell them I didnt want them in the tank.

You should be fine since the bettas are females. I would think some cories or a small pleco would be fine. You have no bottom dwellers.

You could get a Clown Pleco.

I notice a lot of people are quick to say "Pleco will get too big" ect. ect. Well, do a little searching and you will find a good amount of Plecos with a max size of 5''.

but a big 5", plecos are a large bodied fish and the inches thing is only a guideline not science. I would thing a few otts would do better and are better for algae from wht I'm told. I like sharks for the bottom or cories. Cories for your tank would be great as mentioned.

I'll 2nd 2-3 cory's and 2-3 Otocinclus catfish. The Oto's are the single best algae eater in the tank, and will never grow large, and usually stay out of trouble. The cory's do a great job of eating the food that is left over, and are my personal favorite fish to watch in action. Please note with the cory's (and to some extent the Oto's) that they NEED a soft bottom. If you have sand, smooth stones or gravel they will be great. I'd hesitate to get these guys if you have a sharp substrate such as sharp rocks or gravel.

Back
Top Bottom