Overstocked for a 40 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i have:

4 guppies (1m 3f)
4 mollies (1m 3f)
5 sword tails
2 danios
1 angelfish

Is 16 fish in a 40 too much?

Could I add a rainbow shark or a redtail shark to this?

I have a 10 gallon and 30 gallon I could move some fish around if need be...

Thx!

It's not necessarily a problem with the number of fish, I don't think you're overstocked. however I don't think there's enough room for a shark

mikeybabs said:
Ok so i have:

4 guppies (1m 3f)
4 mollies (1m 3f)
5 sword tails
2 danios
1 angelfish

Is 16 fish in a 40 too much?

Could I add a rainbow shark or a redtail shark to this?

I have a 10 gallon and 30 gallon I could move some fish around if need be...

Thx!

Your actually a bit understocked lol. You need about 6 more danios. You don't have room to add a shark, or something else big, but you could add a FEW more fish after the danios. Maybe some cories to help clean up the bottom?

you could try a cray instead of corys.but it might eat your fish.

alLexX said:
rainbow and redtail sharks are 55 gallon minimum.

You are not overstocked, and I agree with AlexX, you will need some bottom feeders to take care of your remaining food.
Corys will be great, like panda or sterbai, a group of 5 will be good.

Thanks everyone!! So does everyone agree I can buy 4 more danios and 5 panda cories? Thx :)

HUKIT said:
Maybe you could use the Red Devil to thin things out? HeHe.

That made me laugh lol... I have a sick twisted personality... If there is ever a fish I dont like could I feed it to the red devil? Lol. Or is that bad for his diet? I know he's omnivore... But ya know

That made me laugh lol... I have a sick twisted personality... If there is ever a fish I dont like could I feed it to the red devil? Lol. Or is that bad for his diet? I know he's omnivore... But ya know

Every once in a while and as long as they're your fish not store bought feeders will be ok. Otherwise there's not alot of nutritional value/parasites in them. Just stick with NLS pellets and he'll be fine.

HUKIT said:
Every once in a while and as long as they're your fish not store bought feeders will be ok. Otherwise there's not alot of nutritional value/parasites in them. Just stick with NLS pellets and he'll be fine.

Thanks!!! I do remember reading that the feeders could carry diseases... Should I use jumbo pellets or are the 1mm pellets ok for the 8" devil :)

Thanks!!! I do remember reading that the feeders could carry diseases... Should I use jumbo pellets or are the 1mm pellets ok for the 8" devil :)

I feed jumbo and x-large to my big boys, being 8" I'm sure the jumbo floating will work well. You just want to use a pellet he'll swallow hole without blowing chunks out of his gills.

HUKIT said:
I feed jumbo and x-large to my big boys, being 8" I'm sure the jumbo floating will work well. You just want to use a pellet he'll swallow hole without blowing chunks out of his gills.

Ok thanks... Sorry for all the questions... But can I feed him what I already have now? (1mm pellets)... And should i do anything special with transitioning his diet into NLS formula or just feed it to him immediately? Thx so much :)

Ok thanks... Sorry for all the questions... But can I feed him what I already have now? (1mm pellets)... And should i do anything special with transitioning his diet into NLS formula or just feed it to him immediately? Thx so much :)

Sure since the majority of NLS is basically the same, it will just take a little longer with 1mm pellets. See if he eats them right off the bat, if he doesn't starve him for a few days and repeat the feedings and starving until he accepts them. My rescued oscars took around a week or so to switch from feeders to pellets but during that time I never offered any food. I've never had a fish turn down any form of NLS from pellets to wafers.

Back
Top Bottom