Overstocked? Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I'm wondering if I'm overstocked I have a 29 gal with penguin 200b and a few scattered plants, my current stocking is 2 neons 2 white tip tetras 2 med sized angelfish 1 bolivian ram and 1 dwarf gourami. And I'm wondering if I'm overstocked, could I bump both the schools to 6 because I would like them to be in schools I've just never got around to it. Or maybe just one school of six one of 4 or just one of 6
Thanks,
Troy

I think you could maybe do one school but if you were bent on both you might want to add more filtration and get use to weekly or even by-weekly WC.

IMO, you would be good with upping the Ornate Tetras to a school of five or six and getting rid of the Neons. The Neons are going to be snacks for the Angelfish anyway. I would also increase your filtration to an AC70 or a Penguin 350.

That's probably still slightly overstocked but if you increase your filtration and stick to a good maintenance schedule it should be fine.

I've been looking into an aquaclear 70 but don't start getting payed till april D: i'll most likely bump the white tips and leave the neons hopefully the angels wont eat them

When it comes to small species, I've come to prefer larger schools of fewer species. I love diversity and color, but a school just looks more natural.

Would I be better off rehoming one angel to my lfs before its fully grown? Will the other angel be lonely/depressed? Because then I could fill up my schools and be slightly less overstocked, lemme know what you think,

I would get rid of both angels, that should give you the ability to add both schools, plus you would have the right (almost) ingredients for a perfect tank. Community tanks usually have a general formula in my mind (depending on size). 1-2 species of schoolers, 1 kind of center piece, a clean up crew. So I like the idea of 6 neons, 6 white tips, 1 bolivian ram, 6 cory cats, 3 otos, and a few snails. :) That would be an awesome stocking if you ask me!

That's a beautiful stocking plan but I can't get rid of both my one angel has been through a lot with me and rehoming it isn't an option but my second angel is new and I can rehome it if it's best for my tank so how would this sound
-1 angel
-1 Bolivian Ram
-6-8 Neon Tetras
-Dwarf Gourami
-And another fish of your suggestion :)

or
-1 Angel
-6 White Tip
-6 Neon
-Gourami
-Bolivian
Or is that overstocked?
I agree increased filtration would be great. I think this list sounds fine, if you skip the gourami, and if you don't mind the neons getting eaten by the angel. I'm not sure which type of gourami you are referring to, but the tank isn't large enough for the angel and a larger gourami to share the space. A smaller gourami might be fine, but I would avoid the dwarfs which tend to be territorial.

Sweet. My dwarfs have always been territorial towards fish with flowing fins.

Haha, that's what I would wonder too. I'm just kind of touchy feely like that. I'd hate to seperate them if they've been together for a while and enjoy eachothers company. Maybe it's time to set up a 55? :brows:

I wish for a 55 but I probably won't get one till summer and even if then it'll be a 50 high, I'm thinking I may bring the 2 white tips back and up the neons because of the fact that the bioload of a white tip school would be too large, I just don't think I can seperate the angels they have so much personality and are side by side all the time
Let me know what you think though :)
Troy

Maintain good clean water for them and make that 50 gal happen. ;)

Hey guys sorry to bring this back but just wondering on this stock
2 Angels
6-10 Neons
Dwarf Gourami
Bolivian Ram
But soon I plan to start heavily planting my tank, do you think this could work? Thanks Guys :)

Back
Top Bottom