Overstocked tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeIshmael95

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gallon tank. It has 2 guppies, 1 fancy guppy, 2 black mollies, 2 dalmatian mollies, two mickey mouse platys, 1 guppy fry, and 3 Mollie fry. I had to flush two guppies today, they had been fighting a lot. I was wondering if it was due to territorial purposes or if I have an overstocked tank. I already he to separate my crown tail betta because he would fight with the other fish.Help please. I hate losing fish.

Flushing a fish is an absolute terrible idea... as well as completely unethical. Doesn't sound like you're anywhere near your stocking limit to me. How were they 'fighting'?

Perhaps I should've clarified. I only flushed them because they were dead. Two of my guppies kept nipping at the other one, almost like they teamed up against him. I had my mom take care of them while I away for the weekend and when I came back one of guppies and the other that was being attacked were dead. At first I thought it was because the one getting attacked was my newest addition. But then the one doing the attacking was dead too.

You might have water quality issues, hence the dead fish, however;
Loads of male guppys kept together are a nightmare, constantly harrasing certain ones and generally spoiling the harmony of the tank. I've also found that a male platies are often aggressive. Mollys can also be agressive and really require a decent amount of aquarium salt in the water.
Best bet for keeping Platies is to keep females only if you want them just for colour and harmony, or 1 male to 3-4 females if you want fry, colour and harmony!
Guppy wise, keep 1 or 2 males with maybe 4-5 females.
Mollys i know less about.

I'm going to check the water quality today. But I had two female guppies and four males now I have two females and two males. That was probably the problem. I didn't think about the ratio when I bought the two male fancy guppies. That's frustrating... I'll get a few more females. Thanks for your help. :)

You might have water quality issues, hence the dead fish, however;
Loads of male guppys kept together are a nightmare, constantly harrasing certain ones and generally spoiling the harmony of the tank. I've also found that a male platies are often aggressive. Mollys can also be agressive and really require a decent amount of aquarium salt in the water.
Best bet for keeping Platies is to keep females only if you want them just for colour and harmony, or 1 male to 3-4 females if you want fry, colour and harmony!
Guppy wise, keep 1 or 2 males with maybe 4-5 females.
Mollys i know less about.

Mollies do NOT require aquarium salt, or any type of salt for that matter

I didn't think they did. They've been fine in my tank without it for a few months.

Back
Top Bottom