Overstocked Tank Situation Fixed - Tankmates available?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hola!

I have a 29gallon that is heavily stocked. Info on the tank:
29 gallon
gravel
plenty of rocks and places to hide/fake plants
100w heater
penguin 330 filter

Fish:
5 mollies - 3 males and 2 females
2 angelfish
2 silver dollars
2 headlight/taillight
3 neons
1 platy
1 zebra danio
1 pleco

My ideas:

The two female mollies look really sick... one has a white growth and going blind, swims fine tho and eats. The other has a swim bladder problem but eats and is very active. I'm thinking I should euthanize those two.

Give my three neons to a buddy for his tank.

Put the three remaining mollies, a platy, and zebra danio in a spare 10 gallon tank. So all that is in my 29 gallon is 2 angelfish, 2 silver dollars, 2 headlight tailligth and a pleco.

Are there any other better options besides buying a bigger tank?

I think the problem with the mollies is due to a lack of salt, as this is my experience with them - long term they come down looking and acting like what you describe when they are not kept at least slightly brackish.

I don't think silver dollars and angels are going to be good tankmates in a 29 gal. The two angels plus all the other fish (minus the silver dollars and minus the mollies) should be good in that tank, unless you have a monster pleco on your hands.

The silver dollars require a large tank and lots of room, and IMO are best suited for at least a 47 or 55.

3 Neons and 1 zebra danio? Those are COMMUNITY fish, they need a large group to be happy. Right now, their miserable.

I'd say get rid of the silver dollars or the angels and the mollies and get a few more tetras and danio. Doesn't seem too overstocked to me.

I don't want to keep neons and danios... these are the few left after a few years. I originally had 7 neons nad 5 danios which I lost about a year ago.

I'd have to agree with Tankgirl; the angels and everything else (minus the silver dollars) should make for a fine community tank. Depending on the species of pleco, he'll probably have to be removed to a larger tank eventually.

Well I've remedied the situation.

I moved my 5 mollies to a 10 gallon. Used gravel from my 29 gallon to fill it out and filled it 2/3 full from that tank.

I gave my zebra danio, three neons, and both silver dollars to a friend of mine. He had some danios and neons already.

So what is currently in my 29 gallon is:
1 pleco
1 platy
2 angels
2 headlight/taillight

My friend offered me a red-tailed black shark and a couple of phantom tetras. Do you guys think these would be good fish to put in my 29 community? I know the shark will be a bit territorial but mostly to fish its own coloration and size. Also I've read it needs a tank that is about three foot long or bigger. My 29 is three foot long. As for the phantom tetras I haven't researched them yet. Just wanting your opinions.

Oh, one other thing....

How much aquarium salt should I give to my molly tank? From what I've read the problems are from a lack of salt. Since there are only mollies in this tank what should I go for as for 'salt' level?

I have a salt tank running but I use IO for that tank. I use just cheap ol' aquarium salt from walmart in my molly tank. I did a couple of tablespoons for the 10 gallon. What do you think? Could I measure the salinity with a hydrometer for a specific goal? I know you can adapt mollies for saltwater but that isn't my goal. I just want them healthy.

Dont know about the salt. Your best bet would to be a school of 6-8 tetras of one type or another. The shark should be ok just keep one. Most of the aggresion is towards members of thier own species.

When it comes to angels a pair can rule a 29gal, and IMO adding the RTS would complicate matters. I'd have them as the centerpiece fish and if anything slightly fill out the schooling fish.

Mollies do well with about one tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water, acclimated slowly. Add the amount for the entire tank to about 2 cups of hot water to dissolve the salt. On a daily basis add about a 1/4 cup of this solution to the tank until you have added it all. After that, use enough salt to treat only the amount you use for PWC, no more. Do not add any additional salt if you are just topping off the tank for evaporation. I'd choose marine salt, but it depends on the makeup of your tap or PWC water.

Nice to "see you" around, Voodoo! :)

Back
Top Bottom