Overstocking??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Geoff

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gal, here is the stock. Tank has been stable with these guys for 4 months now. All fish seem happy, and no real problems.

1 Opaline guorami
2 pot belly mollies
3 guppies
1 syndodontis catfish (his adult size, 5inch)
7 harlequin rasboras
5 zebra danios

According to most I'm at my limit/a little overstocked. But if my parameters are fine between water changes, clearly my filtration is sufficient. Fish seem to have plenty of swimming room and our enjoying themselves, why can't I pick up 1 more fish. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Jeff

I'd love a single angel fish... Though there could be issues with the gourami, some say possible others say not, I've heard both sides. Also, clearly that's a larger fish.

I'm open for ideas/suggestions?

I'd love a single angel fish... Though there could be issues with the gourami, some say possible others say not, I've heard both sides. Also, clearly that's a larger fish.

I'm open for ideas/suggestions?

Angelfish would be way too big in a tank where you have so many fish already. I would personally get 1 female swordtail, and no more fish after that. You're FULLY stocked.

I know... I need a bigger tank.

A sword was another on my list, I love the bright color... Would look perfect in the tank! May I ask why female, and not a male???

Unless anyone has objections, prolly gonna get one! :)

Males can get aggressive as they get bigger and he would have a size advantage over some of your fish (guppies, balloon mollies) so that would be especially bad.

If you have the money and space I think you should upgrade to a 55 gallon. Then you could add more fish, but for now the single fish seems like a good idea.

Thanks guys, just lookin at some options... Prolly pick up a fish this weekend. Would love to get a 55... Not possible at the moment, but I'll upgrade at some point.

I didn't see it mentioned, but you need to remember that your current fish are not at their mature size. You need to account for that when trying to squeeze another fish in there.

Back
Top Bottom