Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Overstocking

Hi everyone, I am wondering what your opinions are on intentionally overstocking. How much can I overstock my 60 litre community tank which currently houses 11 rummynose tetras and 2 guppies? I am going to get 2 800lph internal filters so it will be very well filtered.

Just wanting to know some opinions, don't be angry at me for considering this! Thanks in advance and I hope you can help!

Edit: I should mention I am planning on doing 25% water changes twice a week, one being just taking out and replacing water, the other being taking out, replacing water and cleaning the tank.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You'll probably end up with a load of nitrates, and if it's too overstocked then your fish will probably get stressed out.

I wouldn't do it intentionally...

Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishywishy333 View Post
Hi everyone, I am wondering what your opinions are on intentionally overstocking. How much can I overstock my 60 litre community tank which currently houses 11 rummynose tetras and 2 guppies? I am going to get 2 800lph internal filters so it will be very well filtered.

Just wanting to know some opinions, don't be angry at me for considering this! Thanks in advance and I hope you can help!

Edit: I should mention I am planning on doing 25% water changes twice a week, one being just taking out and replacing water, the other being taking out, replacing water and cleaning the tank.
Why do you want to intentionally overstock? I've yet to hear a good, non-selfish reason to intentionally overstock a tank beyond very specific cases in cichlid keeping... 25% water changes likely won't be enough to keep the water parameters under control on an overstocked tank, no matter how much filtration you're using. You might be ok with 50% changes, but even then you're asking for a tank crash if you miss a water change due to life chaos.

60 liters is only 16 gallons, so you're overstocked already. Once the guppies start breeding you're going to be even worse off.

EDIT: Another thing to bear in mind... Having too strong of filtration will tend to bother your guppies. They can't swim very well with their fancy tails, so they'll be blown around by the currents from the filters. This can stress them to the point of death if you don't give them somewhere quiet that they can rest.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post
Why do you want to intentionally overstock? I've yet to hear a good, non-selfish reason to intentionally overstock a tank beyond very specific cases in cichlid keeping... 25% water changes likely won't be enough to keep the water parameters under control on an overstocked tank, no matter how much filtration you're using. You might be ok with 50% changes, but even then you're asking for a tank crash if you miss a water change due to life chaos.

60 liters is only 16 gallons, so you're overstocked already. Once the guppies start breeding you're going to be even worse off.

EDIT: Another thing to bear in mind... Having too strong of filtration will tend to bother your guppies. They can't swim very well with their fancy tails, so they'll be blown around by the currents from the filters. This can stress them to the point of death if you don't give them somewhere quiet that they can rest.
Remember the thing I said about not being angry at me for considering this? Well there that goes... I understand that you don't want me to overstock, and that's fine, but I was only asking people's opinions on it, I didn't say I was definitely doing it.

When you said I should do 50% water changes, would that not be a bit much for twice a week? My guppies are both males, so they won't breed and they are also not fancy guppies so don't have very long, flowing tails. I won't get that much filtration if I'm not overstocking then.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebritishbloke View Post
You'll probably end up with a load of nitrates, and if it's too overstocked then your fish will probably get stressed out.

I wouldn't do it intentionally...
Would lots of fast growing plants help?

I wasn't planning on really overstocking it, maybe just another guppy and a couple of Platies.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Overstocking a tank that small is a very bad idea. But if that is your current stock then you should only feed them once every 3-4 days and that will help keep the water nice nice. Also, daily testing for a month or so to know when the parameters move around and when and how much water you should change.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

You'd need to do high water changes because of the nitrate buildup you'd have, as your tank would have a high bioload for it's size.

Fast growing plants would probably help a little bit, but if anything they'd just take up what little room you have in your tank from the fish.

Also, don't bother with two internal filters, you're taking up more precious space. Get yourself a canister filter such as the Fluval 406.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgiantsRP View Post
Overstocking a tank that small is a very bad idea. But if that is your current stock then you should only feed them once every 3-4 days and that will help keep the water nice nice. Also, daily testing for a month or so to know when the parameters move around and when and how much water you should change.
Okay, it seems that most people think it's a bad idea, so I'm not going to. Thanks for the tips anyway.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
You'd need to do high water changes because of the nitrate buildup you'd have, as your tank would have a high bioload for it's size.

Fast growing plants would probably help a little bit, but if anything they'd just take up what little room you have in your tank from the fish.

Also, don't bother with two internal filters, you're taking up more precious space. Get yourself a canister filter such as the Fluval 406.
Sorry, the Fluval filter is a little out of my price range.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had terrible experiences with internal filters. Water parameters were always bouncing around and it never seemed to balance out. I would highly recommend a hang on the back or canister.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Sorry, the Fluval filter is a little out of my price range.
Well what is your price range?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgiantsRP View Post
I have had terrible experiences with internal filters. Water parameters were always bouncing around and it never seemed to balance out. I would highly recommend a hang on the back or canister.
I will probably be able to get a HOB
Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Well what is your price range?
About £10 - £30 :P
Old 12-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

How are you managing to acquire two 800LPH filters for £30?

To be honest, I just wouldn't overstock. Try and find a larger tank going on Gumtree etc if you want more fish.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #15

Quote:
How are you managing to acquire two 800LPH filters for £30?

To be honest, I just wouldn't overstock. Try and find a larger tank going on Gumtree etc if you want more fish.
I found 2 that were only £8.82 each on Amazon.

Thanks, but I just don't have enough money for that right now. : / I'll just keep the stocking the way it is.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I'm going to be the odd one out but I don't think your overstocked. I have had a Fluval Edge 12g up for well over a year with 11 Neons, 1 Betta, and 5 Endler males. I do a 50% WC weekly and feed a small amount daily. I have low nitrates and good water quality. The tank is also planted. The best thing you can do when you have a small aquarium is to do one large 50% WC weekly which pretty much ensures good water quality that doesn't have a chance to build up excess toxins and nutrients. My tank has a very tiny HOB that came with the tank setup. Now the only thing I don't like about internal filters is if they are not kept clean on a regular basis they can be a major cause of nitrate levels raising. So be sure to keep them clean.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I found 2 that were only £8.82 each on Amazon.

Thanks, but I just don't have enough money for that right now. : / I'll just keep the stocking the way it is.
I just had a nosey on Amazon. Are you sure they were filters and not just pumps?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #18

Quote:
I just had a nosey on Amazon. Are you sure they were filters and not just pumps?
Nope, they are definitely filters, here is a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Aqua...00l%2Fh+filter

Edit: It does say filter pump...
Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Well I'm going to be the odd one out but I don't think your overstocked. I have had a Fluval Edge 12g up for well over a year with 11 Neons, 1 Betta, and 5 Endler males. I do a 50% WC weekly and feed a small amount daily. I have low nitrates and good water quality. The tank is also planted. The best thing you can do when you have a small aquarium is to do one large 50% WC weekly which pretty much ensures good water quality that doesn't have a chance to build up excess toxins and nutrients. My tank has a very tiny HOB that came with the tank setup. Now the only thing I don't like about internal filters is if they are not kept clean on a regular basis they can be a major cause of nitrate levels raising. So be sure to keep them clean.
Do you think I should stay at what I'm at or can I add maybe 2 Platies and 1 more male guppy?
Thanks.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Nope, they are definitely filters, here is a link: Generic 16W 800L/H Aquarium Fish Tank Water Internal Filter Pump: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Edit: It does say filter pump...
Ah right, that's not the one I saw, the other one was much different but I couldn't find the one you were on about. Seems very sketchy for 800LPH from an internal filter, especially for that price.

Tags
overstock, overstocking, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com