overzealous black mollys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmoore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The 2 black mollys I have are absolute pigs at feeding time.
I drop a mixture of flake and bloodworm into the tank for the mid to top feeders and then drop a couple algae wafers, or shrimp pellets in the back of the tank for the bottom feeders at the same time.
The black molly's will go after all the flake, and eat quite more than their share, and then swim their fat little bellies down to the bottom and start chewing on the wafers and pellets.

Anyone know of way to circumvent them from doing this. Or is just their nature to eat and eat and eat?

It is just their nature to eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat as long as there is food. My platies do the same.
For that particular case, I usually dont feed them flakes at all. Just the pellets for everybody.

well I also have neons, danios and other fish that wont even consider going to the bottom and eating with the bottom dwellers.
little snobs I tell you.

If it was just the mollys and the bottom dwellers, thats what id do.

You could try to distract them with the sinking algae wafers first, which will cause them to dive for the bottom, then, sneaky like, give the others their flake and bloodworms.

There is not much to be done about this kind of issue, but distraction might work, since the tetras and danios are very unlikely to chase after an algae wafer.

Back
Top Bottom