P.H. Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonsong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

I have a 125 gallon planted tank...it is in its initial cycling but its inhabitants are going to be discus. The question is...discus should be maintained with a PH of 6.5-7.5 and my P.H. is really high. I am trying to find an easy (or the easiest) way of bringing down the PH and maintaining it. Please don't suggest peat because its not good for plants and I have treid it before...dont like it so much.

And another question...well its not exactically a question but more of a matter of opinion...in my 125 should I keep two school of 6-8 discus or 3 schools of 4-5 discus...this is not my first time keeping discus so I know the whole one isnt going to look as nice speal...so save it!

Any input is greatly appreciated...well thanks and million and happy fish keeping!

Best way to lower PH is with ro/di water. You will need to find the right mix with your tap water for your situation. What is your PH/KH?

my Ph is in a swing...I have peat in there right now and its around 7.8 and my DH is 9-10...I have an RO/DI unit...it sucks and I hate using it.

Your options are RO/DI or Peat. Driftwood is not going to decrease the level that much unless you really laod the tank down.

i use discus buffer. every water change
i know its not the best way but its all i have
and blackwater extract which i dont know i think it softens the water.
my ph has never changed. it went up .1 once and is kept steady all my discus are happy and well.
are you looking to breed these fish? i would get more of a viriaty.
like maybe 3 of each kind if ur not breading. or just get whatever u like best.
i think more viriaty is much nicer. imho.
i have 2 - royal blues 2- tefe greens 2-red reo purus and 1- malbro red 1-blue turq 1- red turq and 1 green spotted red.
and they look great.
i hope i could help

I think that a couple large pieces of driftwood, in combination with some peat, may work. But it all depends on the look you want, if you are wanting large pieces of driftwood in there.

I've been watching this one. I bought driftwood, but won't the ph just go up if your tap is high??? Should I be treating my water before I add it?

No, you don't need to treat the water. Doing a PWC will bump up the ph a little, but not enough to hurt the fish. And it will slowly go back down. Even with 50% PWC's and driftwood in my tanks, the fish are very healthy. The ph won't shift much at all.

is there any way to tell how much driftwood is needed to decrease pH ? in other words, is there an "inches per gallon" calculation ??? (I know I'm probably just wishing, but thought I'd ask !)

No, there is no way of telling. I have a HUGE piece in my 55 gal tank and it has not changed the pH in the slightest. The 150 also has a large piece and it hasn't moved.

There is no way of telling. Different driftwood acts differently. Some move the ph very slowly, others a little faster. But overall, it's still slow. It will take at least 2 weeks for your tank to reach equilibrium, sometimes longer. But I have found that either Malaysian or African driftwood works best, plus it sinks immediatly because it's so dense.

It looks as if I am going to use the peat...helps in breeding my discus plus it gives the tank a natural look instead of the usual "crystal clear" false look. I honestly like trying to replicate my tanks. blah blah blah i know where discus come from hardly any plants but I had to do a planted tank...I just couldnt help myself :D Pictures will be soon to follow and you guys can give me pointers :D

Back
Top Bottom