Pacu Needs home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My animal science class at school has a huge pacu in a 80 gallon that needs a new home. If anybody owns a huge tank or knows of anything let me know. My instant messenger is ripsamtorrey. Or pm me.

From what Ive read on this forum the FW aquarists do not have tanks large enough for pacu.
I personaly think there are far too many Pacu out there then there will be proper homes for them..
Its very unfortunate..
I would assume if someone built a monster tank they probibly planned to stock it before they built it. JMO though
trying to find a home for it would be a matter of finding someone currently building a pacu tank and would like to have a big one to start off with.. I would give it away in that situation and be glad I was lucky enough to find a good home for it..
there are a few other forums that have DIY sections that have people building big tanks.. not so much here..

If your certain that its never been treated with meds and such...
Eat it, Pacu is very good eating :wink: .

NO, I'm not kidding.

ChileRelleno said:
Pacu is very good eating

A friend of mine had several pacus in a huge wall tank. (When I say "wall tank" I mean that the tank was large enough to constitue a real wall.) They had to move, and had no room for the tank, and noone wanted their pacus, so they ate them. He said they were very good.

Here's a quote from an article I found:

... find their meat available as 'choice cuts' with rib portions (that are said to be packed with firm, oily and juicy meat) and tail fillets the most popular consumer choice. Many South American travellers talk of this meat tasting like that of a chicken but perhaps the 'jungle effect' has an influence on taste buds as this is commonly spoken of as the taste of pirhana and Plecostomus meat also.

please desist from any such comments about pet fish. they are part of our families. and we love them. eating our loved ones is not a very pleasant thought.

My brother ate fish out of his tank! And IMO it's better to kill & eat then just kill & trash. And on many farms baby animals are treated as pets before they are grown and eaten. It seems shocking to people use to buying their meat at a foodstore......but I personally believe killing your own food gives you more respect for the animal and a higher understanding of what it means to eat meat. It also tends to make you more of a vegetarian and less of a I need meat at every meal type of person.

And if you can't get a zoo, public or private aquarium/pond to take'em then unfortuneately for the Pacu he may need to euthanized :evil:
IF, if you have to put'em down, then I suggest you eat'em, so his death serves some purpose.
We all know from past history how hard it can be to a home for fish such as these.

I could go on a very passionate rant about how large fish such as Pacus, various types of catfish, arowanna and ect... Should never, ever, be sold to someone without proof and contract of their being able to house, feed and maintain these fish for their entire adult lifespan.
I believe that people should be held liable for creatures in their charge be it dog, cat, horse or fish...

Ok.. I would never recommend eating a fish that was sold into the aquarium trade.. you might not have medicated them but if they were ever shipped by a breeder or supplier there is a very high probability they have been treated with meth. blue or other similar drug... I really doubt that any aquarium fish that is sold in a store has never been treated with medication..
It would be possible if the fish were spawned in your care that you would know they have never been medicated..
But of course ChileRelleno agreed on the rant about large fish and liability..

edit- I agree a large public aquarium is a good option..

but I personally believe killing your own food gives you more respect for the animal and a higher understanding of what it means to eat meat. It also tends to make you more of a vegetarian and less of a I need meat at every meal type of person.

Try telling that to hunters. :p I can't speak for everyone, but I've killed y own food and I still like to have plenty of meat in my diet...

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone! :oops:

talloulou said:
And on many farms baby animals are treated as pets before they are grown and eaten.

I grew up on that kind of farm.

I would never, ever suggest buying a fish for your aquarium with that kind of end in mind. I also agree with everyone else that someone with with an adequate tank, either a private citizen or a public aquarium, would be the ideal home for this pacu.

(As a side note, my friend with the pacus was prepared to take care of them, and had an appropriate tank, but circumstances forced him to move and he could not find anyone else who could care for them properly.)

Once again, I am very sorry if I offended or disgusted anyone, that was not my intention. I apologize.

I can't remember where, but I remember someone requesting A pacu. Ill try to find the site..

well if you are in D.C. i beleive there is a huge aquarium place w/in like 100 miles, call around and see if they take any large tropical fish

maybe call a really fancy petstore or mom and pop shop with a 300gallon or more tank

i know there is one in virginia, and in the middle of the store there is a huge pond and there is a nice bridge that goes over it...lol its cool

I know Pacus can get 22 inches but how big of a tank do they need ??? I ask since it seems I can name four places within 20 miles that sell them :roll:

megladonsharky said:
I know Pacus can get 22 inches but how big of a tank do they need ??? I ask since it seems I can name four places within 20 miles that sell them :roll:
Pacus regularly exceed two and three feet (2-3'). They have a compressed body meaning they are often taller than they are long, they require alot of room to swim, the generally recognized minimum, minimum, is three hundred gallons (300gal's) for one adult Pacu averaging 2'+. Plus they require large amounts of food and a varied diet, they can literally eat your wallet as adults.

Back
Top Bottom