Pain in the anal fin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleV87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a new Damba Cichlids and introduced him to my tank this weekend.
Since putting him in the tank the tiger barb and his blue tiger barb counterpart will not give the new guy any peace.
I have been noticing a few of the original guppies still left have tips of tails on the bottom nipped; now I think I know who's doing it.
Do you think this is something that will pass or will these boogers keep pestering everyone?
My dennison barb did the same a few months ago but it's urge passed when I picked up his new buddy and put 2 of them in the tank.
Not sure if it's gonna happen with the Tigers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quite often tiger barbs are notorious for being a nuisance to other fish. Especially if not housed in large enough schools of at least 5-6. Denison's are usually fairly peaceful but again, schools of at least 5-6 for best chances of a peaceful tank. What do you have for hiding areas and size tank ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424216579.808825.jpg
This is my current setup. I do plan to pick up a couple more of the electric rosey barbs and maybe when they come in things will settle down.

Are you saying you have only 1 of each kind of barb? Of course they are going to nip, they need to be in a school. Even then they might nip but it's much worse when they are by themselves...
I'd return those for a less nippy fish if you want guppys or other fish that might get nipped

It does look like like you have good cover and a pattern that will grow in to help break up line of sight issues. Is this the 90g listed in your profile ? I agree with michelle about hanging to less nippy fish if you want to keep other more peaceful fish, if not, I'd bump up those tigers and Denisons to 8-10 each to help quell the aggression. The more the merrier is very true in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

By bumping up to 2 dennison barbs the one that was nippy settled right in and is very quaint and proper now.

Yes Michele, I have 1 tiger barb, and one blue tiger Barb. I was planning to put 2 - 3 electric rosey barbs to complete the school. Am I wrong thinking that? Do they all need to be the same color to complete the school?

So much to learn and dig your way after you already started.....lol
I really appreciate the advice ?

Yes treemanone2003 this is the 90 gal with current setup.
I have made some major upgrades from my 1st arrangement.
All natural now. Live planted with Eco complete and sat + pro led.

Now to learn to keep em plants alive...lol
I'm learning a lot on here and I can't thank everyone enough for all the help.

I'm not an expert on barbs but most fish like their own kind to school with. With a 90 gallon you have plenty of room so I would pick a fish and do it. Like I said before though barbs are known for being very nippy. You may always have that issue...

I must add that if I had a 90 gallon is be going w something like congo or diamond tetras...wish I had room for them like a 90!

Thanks. I may look into that advice if things don't settle down. Appears to be much better today and maybe cause the Damba is kinda schooling with the Blue Acara's.
He may have a Lil backup now...haha

Ok update:
I added 6 more small juvenile tiger barbs to the tank and the 2 adults decided it was now necessary to see who's who.
Now that that is all settled there is no more issue with the constant nipping. They did settle down almost completely. And I did mix the colors of tiger barbs. I have 3 green, 4 striped, and 1 blue. All school just fine.

Just so you know, dambas prefer groups and will need a larger tank than the 90 gallon. Also, they get pretty aggressive when they get larger.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Nigel. I was told they were a relatively peaceful cichlids.
I do plan on setting up a larger tank in the future though.
Planning on setting up a 125-150 gallon and giving the 90 gallon to my son when he moves out.
We'll see though, I could end up with both.....ha ha

I did find out after the purchase of corse, that my Electric Blue Acara's do not mix well with live plants.
I have found this to be a "true" fact...lol
They make it tough to get a planted tank going but it's what I want so we will deal with it.
They take them up and I put them back every few days one is floating till it really grabs a good base.

Good luck with the tiger barbs but in my personal experience once they get large enough to they will terrorize everything. There is also usually a pecking order and the top dog barb usually bothers less aggressive barbs. Even better, remove the bully tiger barb and another will take his place. I fought this for over a year before finally just removing them all. I tried schools of same color tigers from 5 count all the way to 12 and this experience was identical regardless of number. I sincerely wish you more luck than I had but as they get bigger and bolder watch them closely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom