paint thinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheepy02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm having a big issue with my fish tank. All my fish are dying and I'm not sure why. I think it has something to do with the paint thinner my roommates have been using but I'm not sure.

Here's some background.
I got the tank about a month and a half ago. I had it set up and doing fine with 3 zebra danios, an african dwarf frog, a neon tetra, a rainbow shark, and a blue dwarf gourami.

About a week ago I added 5 guppies and two scissortail rasbora's. I also changed the filter pad. My roommate was using automotive grade paint thinner about two feet from the tank and without thinking I had opened the lid to feed the fish. That night about two hours later I noticed my gourami was laying on the tank floor flipping around and couldn't swim straight. All his feelers were fine so none of the new fish bit them off.

The next day he seemed a little better so I thought maybe he was just high off the fumes and was getting better. I came home that night to find him lifeless and barely moving. He died an hour later.

The same night the frog started just floating at the top of the aquarium or hanging behind the filter. I thought maybe he just found a new spot and all the fish seemed fine so I thought it was just a fluke.

The next day I found one of the rasbora's dead and decided to do a 25% water change. I made sure to add enough water conditioner to it too.

The next day I found two fish dead and another nearly dead so I went to petsmart to get water testers and the person there said to do a %70 percent change. I tested the water which was a little high on nitrates and did the change. I also changed the filter pad and rinsed off the filter itself. The filter pad which is a carbon one was giving off fumes that smelled like paint thinner really bad.

Now today I found the frog dead and yesterday when I approached my roommates to ask not to use the paint thinner anymore they said that it couldn't be that, and they have been using it for their oil paintings since I've had the aquarium.

By the way, I have a 30 gallon with hood and lid, lightly decorated, and an air pump and its in a small interior room with no windows but it does have a sliding glass door onto a balcony in the connecting room and there's no door between the two rooms.

What I'm wondering is if it might be the long term use of the paint thinners and what I can do to get it out of the water.

My other roommate has a tiger oscar in their room, who seems fine, but his filter smelled like paint thinner too.

Unfortunately, it would not take much of a petrol based chemical to cause some serious damage to the tank's ecosystem. If the filter smells like paint thinner, then I would point to that as the culprit. All I can think is do your best to keep the the paint thinner away from the tank, and keep the lid closed tightly if your roomies insist on using it. Run activated carbon in the filter to try and scrub any out of the water, and perform a few more massive water changes.

Just to be certain, what are the actual parameters of your water?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
Temp

cheepy02 said:
I'm having a big issue with my fish tank. All my fish are dying and I'm not sure why. I think it has something to do with the paint thinner my roommates have been using but I'm not sure.

Here's some background.
I got the tank about a month and a half ago. I had it set up and doing fine with 3 zebra danios, an african dwarf frog, a neon tetra, a rainbow shark, and a blue dwarf gourami.

About a week ago I added 5 guppies and two scissortail rasbora's. I also changed the filter pad. My roommate was using automotive grade paint thinner about two feet from the tank and without thinking I had opened the lid to feed the fish. That night about two hours later I noticed my gourami was laying on the tank floor flipping around and couldn't swim straight. All his feelers were fine so none of the new fish bit them off.

The next day he seemed a little better so I thought maybe he was just high off the fumes and was getting better. I came home that night to find him lifeless and barely moving. He died an hour later.

The same night the frog started just floating at the top of the aquarium or hanging behind the filter. I thought maybe he just found a new spot and all the fish seemed fine so I thought it was just a fluke.

The next day I found one of the rasbora's dead and decided to do a 25% water change. I made sure to add enough water conditioner to it too.

The next day I found two fish dead and another nearly dead so I went to petsmart to get water testers and the person there said to do a %70 percent change. I tested the water which was a little high on nitrates and did the change. I also changed the filter pad and rinsed off the filter itself. The filter pad which is a carbon one was giving off fumes that smelled like paint thinner really bad.

Now today I found the frog dead and yesterday when I approached my roommates to ask not to use the paint thinner anymore they said that it couldn't be that, and they have been using it for their oil paintings since I've had the aquarium.

By the way, I have a 30 gallon with hood and lid, lightly decorated, and an air pump and its in a small interior room with no windows but it does have a sliding glass door onto a balcony in the connecting room and there's no door between the two rooms.

What I'm wondering is if it might be the long term use of the paint thinners and what I can do to get it out of the water.

My other roommate has a tiger oscar in their room, who seems fine, but his filter smelled like paint thinner too.

IMO another possible reason is a spike of ammonia. ammonia poisoning could be killing your fish.
You said that you added fish to the tank and at the same time you changed the filter cartridge. It's possible that doing this, you removed a good amount of the good bacteria and at the same time you increased the bio-load of the tank, as a result, your tank could be experiencing a mini cycle. As Fort said, measure the water quality of the tank and post the results.

I got one of the cheaper test kits, but it showed that the nitrate was 40, the nitrite was 3, the hardness was between 75 and 150, the alkalinity was 120 and the ph was 7.5

I was thinking it could be something else too, if it weren't for the smell of the filter pad I probably wouldn't be asking.

I think I may move it into the other room. I also thought about taking the fish out and completely emptying the aquarium and rinsing everything off, buying a new filter and giving them a fresh start. I just don't know if that would be too stressful for them.

Oh, after I changed the water it is now testing well under 20 for nitrate and 0.5 or less for nitrite. The previous numbers were from before the tank. I took these numbers today and then it was later on I found the frog dead, so I'm still not sure.

3 ppm nitrite is not good at all. That could easily kill fish in a matter of days.

Yeah, I figure if they're all ok after this it was probably the water. Is it possible the frog died from it even 24 hours after it was lowered?

absolutely. Even 0.5 ppm is bad. Nitrite is even more toxic than ammonia to fish and inverts. It could be a combo of nitrite poisoning, and succumbing to any paint thinner that may have found its way into the tank.

If you're aware of nitrite you can easily treat the water for it with aquarium salt or Prime in the recommended x5 dosage. During cycling nitrite spikes my fish barely seemed to notice up to 4ppm of it when I was aware of it and acting accordingly. PWCs are your first line of defense there but salt and Prime are both reliable backups.

I found a local aquarium store Sunday and they gave me a product called nitritvec which is supposed to help, but another fish died and now my other roommate is sanding, and bondoing the spoiler for his car next to the aquarium. Would it hurt if i just took the fish out drained the water and moved it into the other room and then tried just putting new water in it and using the PRIME then?

I found a local aquarium store Sunday and they gave me a product called nitritvec which is supposed to help, but another fish died and now my other roommate is sanding, and bondoing the spoiler for his car next to the aquarium. Would it hurt if i just took the fish out drained the water and moved it into the other room and then tried just putting new water in it and using the PRIME then?

That's a horrible thing to do, did your roomie not even consider what they were doing? Sorry to hear it.

The problem I see with that situation is that dust from the bondo, any spray can action going on (paints, cleaners, etc) will not only get into the water and inflict damage to the fish, but as the system is running it'll get into your filter, gravel, etc. and imbedding itself there too. Moving and changing the water will help a bunch, but the toxins will still be in the system in part IMO.

I think you going to have to figure a way to get the fish into some temporary situation and doing some major cleaning/detoxing of the system.

Back
Top Bottom