Painted Glass Fish ... :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Live and Learn, huh? I am one of the people who had ick (and posted last week) and am using the heat treatment. While surfing around today I figured out what kind of fish I had (my daughter just had to have 2 of them) and it's a Painted Glass fish. It's the one with all the ick. I have been noticing the "paint" is coming off. Thought I was nuts that a fish was painted. Geez, do I feel stupid.

It's too bad that people will do almost anything for a buck, isn't it... :(

It is not your fault, you didn't know. The fish will be happy to be saved, and eventually you will see it's true colors.

:D

Sad to say that this is happening to the poor fishies. The fish were actually injected with the dye, so they are prob rather stressed out in the process. From what I read, they tend to be weak, susceptable to diseases, and die young.

I wonder if you should return the fish to the lfs. If everyone that got one of those & got problems return the fish, they may not be so eager to sell them ... and save some other poor fish from going through the process.

IF we go back there, I am definitely going to say something to them. I think I will poke around and see if I can post and ask if anyone knows of good stores around Michigan that are reputable.

Selling those 'painted' glass fish doesn't necessarily make a store unreputable. As long as there is a demand for them, most aquarium stores will stock them. The same thing goes for the so-called "balloon" mollies and the so-called "parrot" cichlids, both of which are deformed mutants that should have been culled in the beginning rather than selectively bred for (in my humble opinion). The glowing zebra fish are next on this parade...who knows where it will stop?

:oops: I shouldn't have put the reputable part in there. That's not fair of me. I think I will research my fish when I jump back on the buying wagon again.

Back
Top Bottom