Painting a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a 75gl at Petsmart that I can save about $150 on from the other place I was looking. All that is missing in that $150 is the stand.

I figure if I can work this out to save some money the better it is.

The only issue. The tank is oak mock trim. I want black and they dont get it in black *cry* Is there a safe way to paint it?

Would I be better off for $150 more getting the black trim tank at the other place that has a stand with it too?

courtnee, what kind of stand would you get with the package deal (for $150 more)? If it is a wooden cabinet stand (basically anything other than metal/iron or particle board), then IMO it is well worth the extra $150 to get the stand with the tank, plus the trim color that you really want. Just for an example, my LFS sells the 48"x18" pine cabinet (All Glass brand) for $189.99 in the customer's choice of oak or black finish. If the store is selling a real wood stand, then I say go for it. On the other hand, if the store is selling a metal or particle board stand, then I don't think it is worth the extra cash. You can probably score a metal stand for $80-100, just to give you an idea. Also, have you checked Craigslist.org? They have some great finds there from time to time. :)

As far as your question about painting the trim, I honestly don't know. At first, I thought this would be a thread about painting a background on the tank (it's easy, BTW)! :lol:

I can not recall if it was real wood or not for the stand. I will have to go check it out tomorrow. I am so close to getting my tank that I am really starting to get it together. I do wedding photography and this month kicks off my wedding season. I want to use half my wedding money this month for my tank!!!

Next week I am going to buy the filter and pool sand. I am so excited.

I wish craigslist had more to offer in my area. I found one in the last year and it was a 75gl for $120 (used) and not worth it in the end.

I know stands will be limited and not sure on the cost to DIY. I am not to keen on that idea with such a heavy tank. I plan to make it a room divider and will have to finish the back side anyhoo.

Oh I cant wait until it is bought and running and this making plans is done lol

why don't you see what it would cost to get the black trim from the tank's maker? usually it sonly like 15 bucks or so for the top and bottom trim, then just slowly start pulling it off witha razor and use aquarium selaent to put hte new trim on

I agree with Severum. If you really want the black trim and it comes with a stand, you may be getting a great deal. Even if it wasn't solid wood, you'd still pay at least $75 to $100 for the stand. I'd just bite the bullet but that's just me. :)

Thanks for the opinions guys. Stands are always the fun part right? LOL These heavy tanks depend on them.

I plan on as I said making this a room divider tank. I am going to have to figure out how I am going to do that as well. I am hoping the Xp3 is a good enough strong filter to pull the water in since it will on on the side instead of the back, and filter the water well.

Any suggestions on the best way to pull this off?

The tank will have four line pictus, clown loaches and a pleco.

Should I think about a bigger filter since I am doing it this way?

Anyone else have a set up like this that wants to share the ins and outs of how it was done?

Back
Top Bottom