Painting Intake Strainer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am painting the background on my aquarium black today. I would like to know if it is safe to paint the intake tube on my filter. My filter is an Aquaclear 70. I don't think the clear intake strainer will look good against the black background. I plan on using Krylon Flat Black from Walmart. Will this cause any problems with my water parameters?

Nope... I did the same thing on a couple of my tanks. I painted the back black, then realized the whitish clear intake looked horrible. Painted them, can't even hardly see them now. Krylon is the only thing I'd use, so looks like you're covered. Since my tank was running, I just used the intake off a spare AC I had sitting around, let it cure, then changed them out.

If you haven't purchased the paint yet... I'd go for gloss over flat. Since the glass has a glossy look, the flat might stand out a bit more than the gloss does.

Nope... I did the same thing on a couple of my tanks. I painted the back black, then realized the whitish clear intake looked horrible. Painted them, can't even hardly see them now. Krylon is the only thing I'd use, so looks like you're covered. Since my tank was running, I just used the intake off a spare AC I had sitting around, let it cure, then changed them out.

If you haven't purchased the paint yet... I'd go for gloss over flat. Since the glass has a glossy look, the flat might stand out a bit more than the gloss does.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom