Painting Tank Trim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a question about painting the trim of my tank. The used 55g tank I picked up has a woodgrain trim, but I prefer black so I decided to paint it. Today I picked up a small container of gloss black plastics enamel. I read the label and it says that it is safe for children's toys, so I imagine that if it is safe for toys that kids could put in their mouths, it is probably safe for aquariums too. Also it isn't really going to touch the water anyway since I am just painting the outside edge. I just want to make sure before I get started. I still have the receipt so I can take it back if I have to. What do you think?

It depends...
their may be toxins
If u do it should be very very carefuly
take news paper and put it on the inside and out
and ya then paint it

Enamel is fine...the fumes are going to be a negligible factor when painting the bottom trim anyways (unless you are using a spray), but make sure that it is safe for all plastics (although it likely is, based on what you have posted), as you do not wish to weaken the trim.

I agree with the above, shouldn't be a problem. And if you wanted, you could even tape some plastic to the inside rim of the tank and have it draped over the water and the back of the tank. But I don't think it's really necessary. You will be ok.

Lonewolfblue said:
I agree with the above, shouldn't be a problem. And if you wanted, you could even tape some plastic to the inside rim of the tank and have it draped over the water and the back of the tank. But I don't think it's really necessary. You will be ok.

Well the tank isn't even set up yet so there is no water or anything in it. I just wanted to make sure there would be no problems when it dries.

Fishfairy....David here from Nashvilleaquaria.net I've got to do the same thing on my 125 gallon....let me know how the painting goes if you'd be so kind. Unfortunately, I'm going to be painting mine after the tank is set up.

Sure David, I'll let you know how it goes. Right now I'm doing a fill test and then I have to clean it. I'll be doing the painting later this afternoon or tomorrow.

Update: Well I just got finished painting the trim. I cleaned it first and then taped it up with painters tape. It looks very good! I am very pleased with the turn out. It's a little glossier than the trim on a standard black aquarium but I wanted it that way. I'm going to post pics of the setup when It's completely done. :)

If anyone else wants to do the same thing, the brand I used was called Plasticote enamel. It didn't do any damage to the plastic and only took 1 coat.

Thanks for the info fishfairy. I am glad it all worked out for you.

Have you thought about painting the back of the aquarium for the background? Check my 75G and 29G threads. From now on, every tank I get I'm painting the background. There's all kinds of textured spray paints, you can do just about anything. :)

David, I bought the paint at Wal-Mart.

Wolf, I'm seriously considering painting the background. It seems that it would cost a lot less and look a lot more smooth.

Here's what mine looks like....
29g9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom