Pairing off Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I've done quite a bit of reading on getting a breeding pair of angels, and most things I read said to get a group of them and see which ones pair off and then re-home the rest. That's fine, but how exactly would I tell if they were pairing off? Would they start swimming only together and not in a group? I know that sexing them is nigh on impossible until the breeding tubes are out, so what should I be looking for to know if they pair off? Thanks!

So, I've done quite a bit of reading on getting a breeding pair of angels, and most things I read said to get a group of them and see which ones pair off and then re-home the rest. That's fine, but how exactly would I tell if they were pairing off? Would they start swimming only together and not in a group? I know that sexing them is nigh on impossible until the breeding tubes are out, so what should I be looking for to know if they pair off? Thanks!

Thats something I'd like to know myself, but I don't want them to spawn so I want to separate them if they pair off. Mine don't really swim in a group so I'm thinking if two start swimming together that may be an indication. Hope someone can resolve our problems.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Maltimomma said:
Thats something I'd like to know myself, but I don't want them to spawn so I want to separate them if they pair off. Mine don't really swim in a group so I'm thinking if two start swimming together that may be an indication. Hope someone can resolve our problems.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Out of curiosity, why don't you want them to spawn? Mine are mostly staying together in a small school sometimes breaking apart but for the most part staying together and hiding in the plants. They'll only pair off when they become sexually mature, I assume, so how old are they when that happens?

You'll know when they pair off, they start hanging together exclusively and the males typically get aggressive towards other angels in the tank.

Mine usually start pairing off at around a year old, body size approx silver dollar (not including fins).

I don't want them to spawn because I aleady have to many angels (because my adult daughter loves them). I have angels that are bigger than a silver dollar and one has become pretty aggressive and darting at all the others.

You'll know when they pair off, they start hanging together exclusively and the males typically get aggressive towards other angels in the tank.

Mine usually start pairing off at around a year old, body size approx silver dollar (not including fins).

Can you have several males in a tank without any females and not have any/much aggression?

Can you have several females in a tank with one male without aggression?

I ask because it seems I've always read that the aggression is mainly because of a male who has paired with a female. I have this one gold angel who is chasing most of the other angels and the gouramis.

I've had issues in the past with a dominant male pretty much claiming the tank as his own anytime I'd try to add another male. Some get over it in time, but others actually hurt/stress the new fish until something has to be done. I've noticed it's less of an issue if the fish grow up together, so getting them as juveniles seems to make a big difference.

I've not tried the all female thing, but primarily due to the being unable to sex them well until they are breeding.

I guess all I can do is watch closely, which I already do, and move fish around in the two 55g tanks until I hopefully get a good combo. I already see a 4th tank in my future. Thanks for all your suggetions and knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom