Panda Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcoolt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my girlfriend went and got me a couple of fish. I know, she's a sweetheart. Anyway, one of the Panda corys she got me is acting sick. She only bought 3 instead of the school of 6 there should be. She bought them from the local fish shop and not the chain stores. He kinda just sits in one spot, almost lifeless, but then he will move. He is also extremely pale when compared to the other two. The first picture is of the sick one, and the other is of the healthy ones.

ForumRunner_20120903_143110.jpg

ForumRunner_20120903_143124.jpg

I have two of those cories and some others. I've had them for a couple of years now and their coloration is the same. Mine act the same as the ones you have, they are pretty much motionless unless they are eating. IME I think yours may be ok unless you spot other symptoms. There are probably others that have more experience though. I have three Swartz, two pandas and two skunks. I think the pandas are naturally a little more pale.

What does concern me is that he doesn't even eat. He stays where he is at. Doesn't look for food. Even during feedings. So I don't think he has eaten in a few days.

What are you feeding them? I feed NLS and supplement with carnivore pellets a few times a week. They could still be a little stressed and maybe try the carnivore pellets. That may kick their feeding cycles into gear. Mine don't do much until the other fish signal that it's feeding time. Hope this helps!

Try replacing the flake food for the New Life Spectrum .5 mm pellets and Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets. I would feed the carnivore pellets a few times per week. If you do switch to the NLS pellets have patience and your fish will start to eat them, it took mine a few days. The cories will definitely appreciate the carnivore pellets. :)

Yes, these pellets are good for all of your fish. Just remember that it is a differently textured and shaped food so your fish will have to get used to it. When I switched it took a couple of days but my fish started to gobble it up. I started with the 1 mm pellets and they were too big for my tetras (and other smaller fish). The .5 mm pellets are easier for them to eat.

Are you sure they are pandas? They look to be masked Cories . I did have that with one of mine, it may just be he's adjusting to your tank. My panda:

Attachments

• image-200887662.jpg
    image-200887662.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 104
Sadly, he didn't make it. The other two are fine though. He does look like the picture. Maybe he was stressed because he wax alone.

Actually you have False Bandit Corys, Corydoras melini. Panda's are the picture Samzter posted.

Yeah the False Bandit Corys do look more like mine. My girlfriend didnt know what they were either. She just thought they were cute....lol.

The water is set to 79.5. The only thing that's bad is my ph that may be a little high for these guys. It is high, but it doesn't fluctuate. Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0.

Thats a little hot for Pandas or cories in general. Try lowering the temp a little. like to 72 or 74

I was planning on getting some cardinal tetras and dwarf cichlids. Is a lower temp OK for them?

Cardinals prefer water in the lower 80s. Look into neons instead. There are lots of dwarf cichlids. If you are referring to rams, they also like their water in the lower 80s.

David

Back
Top Bottom