Paradise Fish and Platys - Aggressive Male

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I have a 4 gallon tank and 2 paradise fish and 2 platys.
My paradise fish are one of both sex male and female.
My male is becoming aggressive, i am aware he will as he gets older however my plan is to move him when he is at about 1 year old yet he has only been in my tank 3 days yet he is making it hard for my platys to feed. I am alittle reluctant to return him to the pet store as not only will this be stressful - i feel sorry for him, he's just getting settled then returning him :( is that weird?
Well, is there anything at all i can do to help my other fish and not have to return him?

Please help,
HollieDahhrlinn x :cry:

Most fish are mature way before a year. A paradise fish should be in nothing smaller than a 10 gallon but will do much better in a larger tank.

anything less than a 10g is too small for any fish imo, even guppies... thats about the equivalent of living in a jail cell, which im sure most people would not like to do

i have a female paradise fish, and i have read they don't like being with any other of their kind (either male or female).
i have 1 platy in my tank, and no trouble between the two, so i suggest if the problem continues re-home the male so both paradises are not with any other of their kind.
good luck! keep me updated.

i have a female paradise fish, and i have read they don't like being with any other of their kind (either male or female).
i have 1 platy in my tank, and no trouble between the two, so i suggest if the problem continues re-home the male so both paradises are not with any other of their kind.
good luck! keep me updated.

Eja206 - Hello, thanks for taking the time to reply,
so you suggest i should just return the male and keep my female?
Thanks x

personally i think that would be a good idea, as the males are far more aggressive than the females. with 1 female you can have a little community, whereas with a male i think this may be impossible.
however, each fish is different, so you may find something else works for you!

Back
Top Bottom