paradise lost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onah

Aquarium Advice Freak
i recently aquired a new gourami for my tank, i belive they are paradise gourami, i already had one in the tank, i know i was supposed to wait a bit, but i dont plan to put anything else in for a bit now.
well my question is this, i walked in the room today to find them doing something weird, like a dance almost, one at a time they would flare there fins, all well swimming in a circle(very close to each other). can any one tell me what i am looking at? should i worry? the one that was already there seems to be chasing the newbie around a bit also, but i have noticed all of them do that when adding fish, especially of the same kind.
img_698851_0_8a62ad14579497712bf317b9cfe1f1f4.jpg

img_698851_1_a4b86aa33850bd57cba6a562d8fa846e.jpg

img_698851_2_d18384719c902612349b1036fde5b5b8.jpg

Looks like you possibly have a male and female and they are doing their mating ritual!
Here's a pic to compare: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...podus+opercularis&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off
If you want them to have a go at breeding you should provide them with a bushy plant that reaches the surface of the tank, or there are other options available to allow the building of a bubble nest. Google gourami bubble nest :)
Very nice fish!

It actually looks as if you have 2 males. That may be better than having a pair because the males always want to mate and if the female isn't ready, he will beat the snot out of her until she is ready....that is, if she lives. I had a male kill 2 females that way. He did manage to spawn with one of them, but the fry didn't make it.

yeah he is peking at her then, man that blows(lol). hes kinda one of the fav right now so i thought i would get him some company, him and my angel will follow me around the room kinda funny. but yeah he imedeatly started to charge the fish when i put it in the tank, but cool guys thanx for the quick response!, shoulld i put them in a tank by them selves or something? i am guessin it is a pair, he hasnt let up and she is hiding in the corner, so this wont stop? I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!(lol) i feel a bit bad for her now. should i just wait it out, or should i get her out ?

The 'paradise gourami' or 'paradise fish' (Macropodus opercularis) has the honor of being the longest-kept tropical fish in the hobby. Like their gourami and fighting fish cousins they are labyrinth fish and can supplement their oxygen intake with atmospheric air.

That being said, M. opercularis is much more aggressive than most of the 'true' gouramis. I agree that it appears that you have two males and what you're witnessing is a struggle for dominance. It is possible (though unlikely) that they will reach an uneasy truce but more commonly the dominant male will end up killing or badly injuring the other male. In fact...it wouldn't surprise me to see some damage to the angel fish eventually (though the reverse could also happen and the angels might do a little damage to the paradise fish).

If it was my tank I would consider removing the less dominant male or at least provide a lot more hiding places in the form of plants (live or artificial). M. opercularis is one of my favorite fish but certainly isn't a particularly peaceful one.

-Joe

yo....

i put alot of coverage in the tank, they seem to be a bit more come now. i got that test kit, thanx for the info! well thanx agagin......

Back
Top Bottom