parasite problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 5g tank that only has RCS and java moss in it. Both seem to be doing great; the java moss seem to be growing well, and I've recently had a boom of baby RCS.

Unfortunately, I've noticed that I have small worms crawling along the glass of the tank. I have also seen what probably is adult worms hanging just above the water line sticking what I assume is their head in the water (which I've never heard of before). The worms above the water line are relatively see through and just under an inch long; the ones crawling around the tank wall are probably a millimeter. I think they are likely the same species, but can't be sure. I don't currently have a picture of them.

I believe that the worms are likely nematodes, but I have no idea where they came from. I don't think I'm overfeeding the RCS enough to cause an outbreak, as I only put shrimp pellets in every other day.

What can I do to get rid of them? I have a parasite treatment, but am not sure if there's any copper in it.

Do I even need to worry about getting rid of them? The RCS don't seem to be eating them, and I don't know if they're infected by the worms either.

Unfortunately, he only aquarium treatments I have are Pimafix (fungal) and Melafix (bacterial). What's a good parasite treatment that won't kill off RCS?

I'm concerned that the only parasite treatments might have copper in them. Does anyone know of any options that might work for my RCS breeder tank?

Back
Top Bottom