Pardon please the dumb question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking at putting sand into the next tank I get. My question is when you guys refer to playsand, do you mean sand as in what goes into a sandbox?

Yes. Its marketed as playsand for either sandbox use or for use in landscaping. Ideally the playsand will be limestone based.

I would avoid the limestone based sand unless this is a brackish or saltwater tank. For a freshwater tank silica sand is advised.

A lot of people (myself included) use pool filter sand. It is not quite as cheap as play sand, but pretty close ($5+ for 50 lbs.) It does not alter the pH of the water and it is also a heavier sand so that it will not get sucked into the filter quite as easily.

I agree with cplawrence. Pool filter sand is a great choice. It's not as dark in color (if that's what you're going for) though. I recently found pool filter sand that is kind of a mixture of white with some specs of red and gray. It's all pool filter sand, just a slight coloration difference.

In have access to silica sand for sandblasting at quite a cheap price, being in the autobody business. I also have a great line on pool sand. I was a bit concerned about the silica sand being too sharp. I guess that isn't a concern as it wouldn't be sprayed at high speeds. LOL. I will look into both! Appreciate it much everyone. As usual you came through for me!

Some pool filter sands can be sharp, just make sure you look at the grains before purchasing. I've never come across sharp sand, but another member has.

I woudl avoid the sandblasting sand. It tends to be in shards instead of round. Playsand or poo filter sand would be a better choice and are a reasonably cheap option.

Back
Top Bottom