Parrot fish and violet goby questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alq269

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon tank with 3 blood parrots, a marbled bichir, and a pleco. How many more blood parrots or kirin parrots can i put in there. We would also like to get one king Kong parrot.

My other question is, if I wanted to do a brackish aquarium that would contain a single violet goby and maybe a small pleco like a Rubber lip or bristle nose what size tank would I need?

I can't answer your brackish question, except to say that I'm not sure a pleco would do well in brackish water. I've read about several freshwater gobies, but have never had a goby of any kind.

AS to your blood parrots, they get fairly large; up to about 8" and are heavy-bodied fish which produce a big bio-load. IMO, don't add any more fish to your 75g, especially if you have a common or sailfin pleco, as these get very large. If, however, you choose to add more fish, I would make certain your filtration is rated for at least double the tank capacity, and plan to do large, weekly - or even twice weekly - water changes.

If I got the fluval fx6 do you think it would be safe to add a couple more?

I'm not personally familiar with that filter, so I can't answer that. I break fish-keeping "rules" often, sometimes with good results, sometimes with bad results. In this case, if it were me, I would want a filter that pulls 300gph minimum, and I wouldn't add any more parrots. Not only is the bio-load a concern, but also swimming space. You're talking about putting several fairly large fish into a 4' tank. Over-crowding could be an issue. But, as I said, check the rating of your filter. Then, if it's big enough, and you decide to add more fish, plan to do frequent water changes of around 50%.

Adding an extra filter is not going to change your bioload(which will continually increase as your fish grow), it's the same whether you have 100gph or 1000gph. Water changes will still need to be done accordingly.

I do biweekly waterchanges and filter checks. The fluval fx6 is for a 400 gallon tank. I intend to purchase it in October. I know the one gallon pee inch is invalid because it only works with smaller fish but is there a general ratio for parrots when it comes to their full size? They're only 3" if that right now but I know they grow fairly quick. Also the bichir doesn't do anything but sit there all day because he's nocturnal while the parrots huddle together at night.

I have a 75 gallon tank with 3 blood parrots, a marbled bichir, and a pleco. How many more blood parrots or kirin parrots can i put in there. We would also like to get one king Kong parrot.

My other question is, if I wanted to do a brackish aquarium that would contain a single violet goby and maybe a small pleco like a Rubber lip or bristle nose what size tank would I need?
I had a violet goby for 6 years...I knew nothing about them and when he was put into my tank he was the size of a cigarette...when he died he was over 2 foot long. Awesome fish..he was my baby! I had him in a 55 gal brackish tank with sand.

Back
Top Bottom