Partial Water Changes and their Frequency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20H that has been running for 14 days that is heavily planted with 5 neon tetras. Parameters are 3.25 wpg, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, temp 79°, 100W heater, Liberty 150 HOB, ph 7.2.

I did a pwc last Sunday, 7 days since starting the tank, it is due for a pwc today, but I am picking up 2 SAE at the lfs this afternoon.

Question: Do the pwc before adding the SAE, regular time, or wait a day or so?

So, I should probably wait for a couple of days to do a pwc?

If I was intelligent enough, I would have done the pwc and pruned the plants on Friday, knowing that I would be coming home with new fish. Oh well, lesson learned. I just like the help from the little guy doing the pwc, he carries the water both ways, which is really nice :D

If I plan on buying new fish I always do a partial water change that day and then go buy the fish. However I do very frequent water changes and so I feel that by changing the water right before adding the new fish they will have time to settle in before I start disrupting everything again. I never had any problems.

what are your nitrate levels? since you have 3.25 wpg, have you considered co2?

crazycat said:
what are your nitrate levels? since you have 3.25 wpg, have you considered co2?

Unfortunately I have no idea what the NitrAte levels are. I have been testing everyday or two days for Ammonia and NitrIte and have had 0 readings for both since starting the tank on Dec 26. Right now I have no CO2, but I just purchased a Hagen Natural Yeast CO2 device. I have not set it up, since I have been helping a kid move. When I added my 2 SAE, I had the lfs test the water and they said I was fine for NH3, NO2, and NO3.

Back
Top Bottom