Partition or temporary small tank, question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a male angel who is bullying another male Angel, it is spending most of it's time in a corner behind a plant, every time it ventures out the other makes it go back, and yet at feeding times they both eat together,
my question is, should I move one out into a small hospital tank, or put a partition in the main tank? it's not acceptable for one to spend hours in a corner, the Angels are quite big now but the bully is slightly bigger......thanks

What size is the current tank and what size is the other tank you can use ? Unfortunately I don't see it getting any better. Perhaps finding a female will help, but I'm not convinced it will fix it long term.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

It's in a 50g now, the other is only a 5g, but at least it would be able to swim around or I can put a partition in the in the 50 until he gets bigger, what do you think tree

With a 50g I would leave them in the same tank. Just partitioning it off should help keeping them separated. I would consider the 5g way too small. I've used this plastic before with two not so nice Angels before and it worked fairly well. Just have to play with it to get it secured nicely as they can be quite dubious when they want to, lol. It comes in various sizes but you may need to put two together depending on what's available locally.

http://www.paviyarns.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_BAG33409

Thanks tree, I think that's the best idea, will go with the partition,cheers

Quick update on the divider, after putting in the divider my smaller bullied Angel has laid eggs on it near the top, I was shocked, so I know that's a female, why would the bigger one bully a female, there are no eggs on the other side as yet, so am waiting to see what happens, it is nice to see the bullied one swimming about at last....... even though the eggs will not be fertilised..........

That's great news Ricky !!!!! My opinion would be that perhaps it's 2 females and the bully "knew" what was going on and trying to prevent her from laying. I'm no expert on them by any means and the first person I would think of better suited to help you is Andy Sager. My theory could be right or I could be way off, but it definitely sounds great in my own head. He's got a few threads, but can't think of the titles. Maybe send him a pm or look for the threads he's been involved with and you'll be sure to get a more definitive answer.

Which partition did you wind up going with, was it a pain ? Sounds like it's doing a great job. Keep us posted !!!

Thanks tree, I am thinking on your lines about them being both female, I can't imagine a male bullying a female, I will ask Andy, I would just like to see if the bully lays any eggs? the divider is great, made of thin black Formica, with lots of small holes and fits perfect in the tank, I am going to feed the smaller one a little more and let his front fins get better, thanks for your input.........

Back
Top Bottom