Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #1

paver's sand... did i mess up?

well, went to lowes, bought paver's sand, and after i put it in the tank, i was told it could have chemicals in it... no fish yet, fishless cycling, just started today so
ammonia: 4
nitrite/ate: 0
ph: 7.6
please help! tank seems cloudy with dust i guess, and i have an anubias nana plant if that helps, but that's it really.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep - wrong stuff - you need PFS (Pool filter sand) - get it out now!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98
well, went to lowes, bought paver's sand, and after i put it in the tank, i was told it could have chemicals in it... no fish yet, fishless cycling, just started today so
ammonia: 4
nitrite/ate: 0
ph: 7.6
please help! tank seems cloudy with dust i guess, and i have an anubias nana plant if that helps, but that's it really.
Sorry Homedog :-(. After a quick google search and seeing threads from this site and others...it looks like a bad idea. Seems some people use it and defend it, but the majority of people say it's not an option. I know you're like me and think it's always better safe than sorry with our fishy friends...so maybe time for a breakdown, rinse and rebuild :-(. Did you get that link I sent you last night? I can send it again if it didn't go thru.

*The more I research, the more I'm seeing both sides of the argument. I'd see if you can get some details of the actual sand you used and see if you can research that particular brand.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
come get me tang police!

I looked at this sand briefly while I was at the hardware store recently and it looks like it is a bit rough anyhow, without much uniformity. Could lead to a very compact substrate with anaerobic pockets as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Apparently paver sand has additives that harden when wet. I searched Paver sand for aquariums and there's a numbers warnings about it.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...and-for-plants
Old 05-31-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Lauren, I went out again today in search of some decent looking sand and nothing but pavers, so I started researching. There are reports of success, but they are amidst harsh advisories against using it. For one, it's used in placing pavers because of its ability to be compacted rather easily, which isn't considered great for tanks, especially planted ones. Some say it's impossible to get it rinsed well enough, and it always puts off white dust. It's also usually high in silica, and can greatly raise pH. What worries me the most is probably the high glass content in a lot of it, that can really injure fish.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Has a binding agent in it to make it stick together kinda like self setting cement
Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

ah, good to know. i had asked a whole back and never did get a good answer. Luckly, i never got that tank set up. i will go dump it out and start over. I was having a hard time getting PFS.
my tank: 29 gal, planted. fish less cycle done. 3 fancy male guppies, 7 Neons, and 6 corys, and 1 albino bristle nose. Kids tank: 10 gal, planted. Fish less cycle complete. Ghost Shrimp and Fred, the betta.
Sarasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasein View Post
ah, good to know. i had asked a whole back and never did get a good answer. Luckly, i never got that tank set up. i will go dump it out and start over. I was having a hard time getting PFS.
Leslie's Pool Supply is where I get mine, $10 for 50lbs.

There's 10 stores in the FW area.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

AA saved another fishes life
Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I got my pfs at home depot for about $5 per 50lbs.

Unfortunately not all home depots carry the pfs. Took a few stores for me to find it. My leslie pool supply has the same sand for like $7.5 per 50lbs.

Good luck!
180g- Mostly BIG fish and some coral. ~80g Nuvo- My coral tank with "happy fish"~ 90g- FOWLR Not the not happy type of fish~ 125g- Freshwater Malawi Cichlids ~10g- Nuvo- The refugees from the Ich of '18
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah my home depot doesn't have it and my lowes told me they aren't carrying any pool supplies of any kind anymore. I'll have to order I guess but I needed something like, yesterday. I can't believe I can't even find a white play sand. Sheesh!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Leslie's Pool Supply is where I get mine, $10 for 50lbs.

There's 10 stores in the FW area.
Thanks. I just found out ACE has it and I know where they are. I called to make sure. So we will get it after nap time
my tank: 29 gal, planted. fish less cycle done. 3 fancy male guppies, 7 Neons, and 6 corys, and 1 albino bristle nose. Kids tank: 10 gal, planted. Fish less cycle complete. Ghost Shrimp and Fred, the betta.
Sarasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #14

well... i'm pretty much out of options. ive got carbon running in the filter to hopefully get the bad stuff out, and the brand is american country paver sand. it looks just like regular sand... it looks really good, but if it's going to kill my fish i would love to get it out... but i don't think my parents would... so there's no way to get out the chemical stuff?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #15

heres a link to a tank that has my sand: Cichlid-Forum :: View topic - Pictures of aquariums with paver sand?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
well... i'm pretty much out of options. ive got carbon running in the filter to hopefully get the bad stuff out, and the brand is american country paver sand. it looks just like regular sand... it looks really good, but if it's going to kill my fish i would love to get it out... but i don't think my parents would... so there's no way to get out the chemical stuff?
Not sure what filter you have, but I'd suggest using poly-fil to clear the water column. I'm using it in all my tanks, but with it in my DT leaching tannins, heavy bioload and overfeeding, the amount of gunk it grabs in a weeks time is remarkable to say the least.

Here's a link with a pic, info and getting the right stuff.

Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
Old 05-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

Not sure what filter you have, but I'd suggest using poly-fil to clear the water column. I'm using it in all my tanks, but with it in my DT leaching tannins, heavy bioload and overfeeding, the amount of gunk it grabs in a weeks time is remarkable to say the least.

Here's a link with a pic, info and getting the right stuff.

Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
Thanks, I have the AC50... Is it the poly-fil that pellet stuff?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

From my research, I think most importantly...even if you could get the chemicals out and weren't worried about the other factors...you wouldn't want to stock any fish that would spend any time on or in the sand, such as cories or kuhlies, because it's known to be very sharp and cause injuries. IMO it isn't worth the risk.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #19

The person that replied last here pretty much described my sand when talking about paver sand... I don't know if this helps.What Sand? - Tropical Fish Forums
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #20

Also... If y'all are thinking of the first pic... Then we're on a totally different spectrum lol... It looks a lot like the second pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-697826416.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	38712  
Attached Images

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com