PC lighting on non-planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hotelboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, my 36bow has been up for a few weeks now. Everybody's healthy (5 Gold Tetras so far), waters ok other than some film on the surface, but I'm running a surface skimmer to get rid of that and doing 25% PWC's daily.

A couple of days ago I noticed some algae on my rocks. No big, so I reduced my lighting by 1.5 hours a day. Next day... whoa! Figured out pretty quick that I forgot that I used to use my fixture for a planted tank. 2x55, 6700k and 5500k PC.

I'm not about to go out and buy a NO fixture because this tank is a budget tank until I get a job. So in the meanwhile, I've replaced one bulb with a 50/50 from an old reeftank and removed the other bulb.

Does this make sense? I figure the actinic bulb will do nothing for the algae, so in essense, I really only have 27.5 watts at 10,000k... right? Plus this bulb has a years use already so the output should be much lower than its rated for.

Your logic sounds good. Part of the algae problem comes from the fact that the tank is new and you are probably still cycling. Algae thrives with available N compounds and lots of light.

i agree.. give it some time, even with out being a planted tank, algae should be controllable with that amount of light after the preliminary stages of a tank set up.

Back
Top Bottom