Pea puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone just is posting from their personal experiences.
I just think it would be a pain feeding a pea puffer in a 55 and making sure he gets enough food after all the other bigger fish get to it.

If you keep snails as well it's not a problem. But he usually always gets his worms

They are born in fresh water as they get older they move to brakish water you know when your amazon puffer is ready for brakish water when they belly turns gray or off white cuz the fresh water stresses them and they become way more aggressive am not going to argue with you you know what you doing says the guy that haves plants with his puffer lol they dont even live no were near plants and the wild just sand they do circle on the sand with they belly to show off to other mates.. bye i bet you dont even know that they have teeth and that they are poisonous to other small fish with one bite they will die in a few days even if the bite wasent critically amazon puffer also known *** the lepord in the fish world is not for biggeners i dont blame you i blame yhe freaking pet store that sells them *** fresh water fish but dont tell no one that they have to move them to brakish bye have a good one brookster

I think your thinking bumblebee gobies and figure 8 puffers for brackish.
Pea puffers have no teeth, Amazon do and they need to be trimmed if not watched which I have also done

I've got a M/F/F trio of pea puffers in a fluval spec V and they definitely would not be ideal community tank residents. Every now and then they'll get nippy with each other, but with enough sight breaks in the tank they can all get along. In a 55 with a bunch of faster, larger fish I would be worried about the pea puffer being out competed for food along with the fact that he might take a few good chunks out of his tank mates!

Also, amazon puffers are 100% freshwater. I think you may have an amazon puffer confused with a green spotted puffer (who eventually needs full marine salinity) or a figure 8 puffer (a brakish water species that will perish in freshwater). There is a lot of miss information spread about what salinities different puffer species need. Some freshwater species include Pea puffers, amazons, fahakas, Mbus, and congo puffers. Most other puffer species need at least brackish and, for many of them, eventually full marine. Also, if you actually are breeding Amazon puffers that would be a major breakthrough. There is little to nothing known about their reproductive habits aside from the fact that the fry most likely go through a planktonic phase like other pelagic puffer fish after they are broadcast spawned into fast flowing rivers. If you were to spawn these fish, I would find it very unlikely it would be in brackish water.

Im not sure how you guys feed, but with my worms I use tweezers and take out a clump I deliberately swish them around in the water so the worms disperse. Im not sure how many community fish you have in your tank but in my 55 I have 4 angels, a discus, neons, 5 rainbows and a few other smaller guys (for now) and the puffers ALWAYS get food.
Again they hunt like crazy in the dwarf sag carpet for snails to.
These little guys are not as clumsy or afraid as they seem, Ive seen my pea puffer dart accross the tank for a worm and beat out rainbows. THOUGH if I feel my little guys didnt get enough, I will deliberately lure the fish to the other side as they will follow the tweezers, well because the rest are dumb fish, and then Ill just drop some worms to my puffer. I think hes aware of the system and hangs out to wait.

My amazon puffer has oddly gotten a taste for my sinking pellets. As soon as I drop those in he go right for them and just destroys them on the way down. Thank god someone eats them. They are shrimp pellets and hard so hopefully they have been helping to trim his teeth because I havent had to do it for a while.

Back
Top Bottom