Pea puffer tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FiiishGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if you could keep apple snails, ghost shrimp, corycatfish, otos or some other fish With dwarf puffers.

Really the only thing you can keep with puffers are puffers. In a 10 gallon you can probably keep a pair. Depending on the individual puffer, you can sometimes keep otos or ghost shrimp but that's about it.

So it depends on the individual?

What did I need to feed them?

Crushed snails or ghost shrimp. They are active hunters actually. There also avid fin nippers so I would stick to a puffer only tank

So it depends on the individual?

What did I need to feed them?

Yes. Some puffers will live peacefully with otos and ghost shrimp but others will tear them to shreds. Most of the time they'll be fine together tho. Because their teeth never stop growing, you need to feed them live snails 3-4 times a week. The hard shell helps keep the puffers teeth healthy. Although I've heard pea puffers don't need snails like the other FW puffers but it'd still be a good idea to feed them some. They will also accept bloodworms and other meaty foods.

I got a single puffer in a 5g with mystery snails and cherry shrimp. He leaves adults alone but does eat the babies. Ran out of snails to feed him. So hand feed him frozen blood worms with tweezers.

I got a single puffer in a 5g with mystery snails and cherry shrimp. He leaves adults alone but does eat the babies. Ran out of snails to feed him. So hand feed him frozen blood worms with tweezers.

If you keep him fed he may leave the baby shrimp alone but there's no guarantee. You don't necessarily have to hand feed him I don't think, just drop a few bloodworms on the top. If he doesn't eat them try hand feeding then.

Reason why I hand feed him is to control waste. When I dropped a few in tank he would miss a few. Just easier to control what he eats. Plus funny to watch how he stalks the tweezers.

Reason why I hand feed him is to control waste. When I dropped a few in tank he would miss a few. Just easier to control what he eats. Plus funny to watch how he stalks the tweezers.

Good idea. And haha, it's funny to watch them stock and inspect the snails too.

Pea puffers beaks do not over grow like other puffers. They eat snails by sucking them out of the shell. While they are little they may tolerate other tank mates but when they mature they will attack any other thing in the tank. Even other puffers. They are naturally solitary creatures and do not need other tank mates. They do need plenty of area to explore. It is good to change the decorations around every so often so they have something new to explore. Most feed them by tweezers so they can remove what the puffer doesn't eat. The primary food for them is frozen blood worms. Thaw and hand feed. You can also feed small bites of thawed frozen shrimp, cut up earthworms, or throw small snails in for them to hunt. Here is a great all puffer forum with lots of info.
The Puffer Forum • View forum - Freshwater Puffers

My dwarf puffers live with black skirt tetras and an African albino frog with no qualms. My most aggressive puffer nipped the frog once and hasn't touched him since, and they LOVE brine shrimp. They also need plenty of territory to explore or they will get bored.

Sometimes you luck into a placid puffer but usually, once they mature, they get mean. Another poster on here tried and his fish were killed or maimed. He ended up taking the fish that were left out of that tank. Just use caution and be prepared to remedy any problems. I had ghost shrimp in with mine and it never bothered them.

That is definitely my plan B :) I have my quarantine/birthing tank for any emergencies that may arise and I'm constantly monitoring all of my tanks lol but thank you for the care taking hint! I've heard a lot of similar stories so am definitely on the lookout. They are awesome little fish though- my three little puffer piggies!!

Back
Top Bottom