"Peaceful Betta"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I noticed AZ Gardens is selling a betta it is calling "Peaceful Betta:"

http://www.azgardens.com/bettas.php

"This is a peaceful betta, YES, even with each other!"

I would like to hear more about this fish from anyone with experience with it. The pic appears to a nicely colored female betta, so I do not see what is so special about it.

i dont believe it!

thats insane! how can that be possible

i was gonna say the same thing as you, looks like a nicely colored female...seems like they are seperating the nicely colored females from the rest and just giving them a different label in order to charge more...

I don't know all that much about them, But I believe that that is a male. the females are a plain brown color. This is a pretty fish although the fins are not as long as the Betta splendens. The name implies that these fish are
peaceful, but remember that the males can not be kept together unless adequate space is given. They are only peaceful with their other tank mates.

I don't have any experience with this fish but, I have a book that says this...
It's is the wild strain and is actually endangered in it's homeland. This book is copywrited 2001 so that that for what it's worth...
B. imbellis is bred for fighting (short fins) as well as beauty (long fins), but has not been as extensively developed as B. splendens fancy strains. It is reputed to be a fast and more unpredictable attacker than the B splendens. (hmm, that doesn't sound peaceful to me)
Fish grown together get along and fighting occurs when fish raised separately are placed together, same as B splendens. Otherwise, a group can be held in a single tank where pairs spawn separately. The parents do not prey on the young.

whitetiger_CJ said:
I don't know all that much about them, But I believe that that is a male. the females are a plain brown color.

That second sentence is completely false. Female bettas come in every color of the rainbow, and short of lacking the flowing fins males have, can be just as colorful as males. Purples, blues, whites, yellows, you name it.

If you'd like to see a picture of some very colorful female bettas--including mine--check out this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=47316.

Now as for the topic of the thread itself, I have never heard of a "peaceful betta." Though certainly my female has done fine in a community tank.

Yes.....the common name of 'Peaceful Betta' is applied to Betta imbellis ('imbellis' means 'not war-like'). These fish are known for their relatively peaceful nature for a Betta species (as opposed to the commonly available Betta splendens - the Siamese Fighting Fish). Males generally develop fairly long fins and are a dark blue to black on the body and the fins have a beautiful light blue sheen with red highlights. Females have a brown to yellowish-brown body and shorter red and blue fins.

JohnPaul, I know that the female splendids anr many different colors, but the imbellus was less developed in the trade, and there fore have less color and closer resemble wild specimins. Although I have one question. Can the splindid and imbellus be called two different fish? they can be bred together and produce fertile young, and nothing has changed about them. If anyone can explain how that would be great.

Actually....when the wild form of each species is considered (and not the introduced range of Betta splendens), the two species are fairly geographically isolated from each other. There are enough different characteristics between 'wild-type' B. imbellis and 'wild-type' B. splendens to warrant different specific names.

Keep in mind that there are a number of Betta species....including: Betta anabantoides, Betta bellica, Betta climacura, Betta coccina, Betta edithae, Betta foerschi, Betta fusca, Betta imbellis, Betta macrophthalma, Betta macrostoma, Betta persephone, Betta picta, Betta pugnax, Betta rutilans, Betta smaragdina, Betta splendens, Betta strohi, Betta taeniata, Betta tussyae and Betta unimaculata. Add to these a number of possible species that have not yet been assigned and you can see that there is much variation besides the highly-modified Betta splendens that we are all so used to seeing in their little cups at PetsMart or Wal-Mart.

-Joe

This is actually a different species. Males are agressive to other males, but not a vicious. Here is a link from a respectable site.
http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Betta_imbellis.html
I quote " Males are aggressive towards one another, but injuries rarely occur in fights. Thus it is possible to keep more than one male in a roomy tank. This species is peaceful towards other fish. Do not combine with aggressive or fin-nipping fish " So yes you could technically keep more than one, but IMO it's not a good idea. :)

Back
Top Bottom