Peaceful centerpiece fish for 20g long tropical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, I have a 20g long tank that currently houses 5 platy. I already planned out other fish I hope to add soon, but I can't find a centerpeice fish. I plan on keeping:

5 platy
4-6 panda corys
8 neon tetras
1 Centerpeice??

(Does the stocking sound ok?)

I am relatively new to fishkeeping, but I know about cycling, ammonia, nirtite, and nitrate levels, ect. I have pretty hard/ high ph water in my area. Something easy to moderate to keep, peaceful, and colorful would be great. Thanks!

I have always really liked the german gold rams or electric blue rams, perhaps you could get a trio.

I was thinking of a dwarf gourami OR male betta. Angel fish would get too tall for a 20g long, wouldn't they? Can I keep a single gouarmi, or do they need pairs? Would the betta be peaceful to the other fish?

Angels do get too tall for a 20L. I wouldn't put them in anything shorter than 18".

You can keep a single gourami. Just don't mix bettas and gouramis. It's a bad combination.

It depends on the betta. I haven't had any problems with bettas in community tanks, but some people have.

I would suggest getting a male swordtail rather than the gourami. Commercially bred dwarf gouramis get a disease specific to the species, for which there is no cure. Tank conditions are irrelevant, many already have the bacteria and it is just a matter of time until it strikes. Swordtails however are peaceful and undemanding fish, which are active and attractive.

As you cant get an angelfish, Gourami all the way!!

Thanks for the suggestions, this thread is actually from 2010 though. I ended up with a German Blue Ram, which I highly recommend. They are very quirky and colorful little fish.

Back
Top Bottom